Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

Gaff Occasionally Draws.

Evening. I am Gaff. I have trouble using colour properly and setting things in perspective. I can't be bothered with long introductions.

This is the last thing I actually finished. In the main, I'm happy with it, but I think I could have handled the shadows better, given where the main light source is, and the surface of his gun-arm could have been better too. Wasn't too sure what to do with fading the image out in the bottom of the picture either.

As part of my ongoing quest to become an internet millionaire, I try to post process videos on youtube and there's one for this painting if anyone's interested:

Onto something more pressing though.

Had hoped to get this done in time for the new Lupin tv series starting, but I was ill for a while and didn't manage it. Haven't yet got back to working on it, so any input in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

I think Lupin (on the right) is pretty much there, but Jigen (on the left) gets worse every time I look at him. The idea is that he should be running while carrying the sack over his shoulder, but I've screwed up the anatomy pretty badly and I'm not quite sure how to get myself out of this one. Any general thoughts on the perspective are also welcome; I was going for a kind of 'worm's eye view' effect.

the bottom one is awesome I love the building! so many details, I think you should finish it.

I think Lupin does go with the perspective a little better than Jigen, Lupin looks more dynamic where as Jigen appears a little flat, keep playing around with it and you will get it I think

You've returned...!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
    the bottom one is awesome I love the building! so many details, I think you should finish it.
    Thank you.

I'm afraid the building in the background is just an altered photograph at the moment though. As I was trying to get it done in a pretty short space of time, I didn't think it was worth attempting to draw something like that from scratch, especially not for a real place.

I've found a better reference photo for Jigen though, so hopefully I'll get some more done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    You've returned...!
    Hah, yeah... It's been such a long time, I didn't think anyone would remember.

Huh. Nice to see somebody else that likes the classics... Mospeada's OP in the video's opening and all that. :3

Anyway. I don't really know what you mean about your colouring. The brush lines are quite obvious and all that, but I don't think it's such a problem considering the medium. The vibrancy is spot-on, aswell.

Perspective... Yeah, Jingen definately could have done with slightly bigger arms, and his hat being drawn from the underside instead of straight-on...

But overall, it seems pretty darn okay to me. Hope you stick around, dude.

Heh, thanks. I love old-school animation so I tend to draw retro characters a lot. Drew Golgo 13 a while back, keep meaning to have a go at Kenshiro too.

For the Cobra one, I could be over-thinking it on the colours. I dunno, my gut feeling is that I probably need more midtone on his shirt and maybe a stronger highlight around the edge of his hair.

That could be a good call on Jigen's hat though. He always has the brim pushed forwards in the show, so I hadn't considered tipping it back, but that would probably make more sense.

Huh. Curving those perspective lines up on the edges is an interesting touch. For 3-point the standard rule is that all lines parallel to your drawing plane should still be flat. If you're going for a stylized low eyelevel fisheye feel I'd imagine they'd all be curving down, if that makes any sense.

The way those horizontal guidelines are set right now would make it look like you're above the subject, which would give an odd feeling of inversion given that your vanishing third point (at the top) conflicts with that and makes it look like you're at the bottom. But maybe you knew that all along and wanted to break the rules and I'm sounding a bit silly. Anyways, your drawing, man. 80s mangas always had that unique feel.

Eh, I dunno. The perspective lines probably aren't too good - I really don't have much experience of anything more complicated than one point. It doesn't help that I couldn't find a decent reference photo for the kind of viewpoint I'm after either. I did look at examples of regular fisheye effects, but it wasn't really that - best description I could give you would be an inverted fisheye looking upwards from the ground.

Thanks for the input anyway, it's certainly got me thinking about it again.

101 Dalmations Member Rainbow_Dash's Avatar
    I can't see it. You should upload it to your gallery. Maybe you have. I will look.

Hmm, that's odd - photobucket's usually pretty reliable. I've put the Lupin picture in the gallery anyway: link