Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

Recently, one of my friends tagged me in a facebook post containing the end theme from Tenchi Muyo, and it sent me on this horrible '90s nostalgia trip.

Fairly happy with this, but the hair is a bit chunky and I kind of fluffed the reflections on her swimsuit. I did look at references for the material, but I dunno, I feel like I was guessing. Process video should follow tomorrow.

Very nearly managed to do the whole piece in Manga Studio this time, but I had to switch back into Photoshop to add the colours, as I was working in greyscale.

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

If anything, the hair should have been chunkier. It's 90s anime, heh.

But yeah. Always find it hard to post things in here since your work is a really high standard as always, Gaff. I do still lurk here, as I'm sure others do.

The arm looks a little long. Other than that, she's looks great!! Very pretty
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Almanac/Reg: Thanks guys

Have sometimes wondered if I'd be better just putting stuff into the Artists' Alley, as I tend to post things when they're more or less complete, but equally I don't want people to feel they can't tell me what's wrong with it either. I dunno.

I think this won't be the last visit to '90s fanart land anyway...

JJJorgie: You're probably right. Think I sensed the arm wasn't quite there when I went back to adjust the angle, but I couldn't put my finger on what was off. Will try to take more care in measuring.

Ima just spew out my thoughts...

Cool, I used to date a blonde swim captain.

The way you light the swimsuit tells us what the material is, and the specular lighting tells me it looks like rubber. Look up rubber swimsuits, and notice the breast area, how the material is not wrapped skintight around the chest and ribs, but just "wrapped", you know? And the pressure would flatten the chest. Or maybe that was intentional and it's a specific kind of rubber suit that's shaped that way to be stuck against the skin.

Below the deltoid area, above the swimsuit band, the shadow is a little finicky, Probably too contrasted or saturated, but Im slightly starting to lose some shape there.

The neck is a little bit long, when you bend so that your head goes forward, the chin generally moves towards the thing at the top of the sternum and in between the clavicles. The amount of neck bend is checked from the angle of the spine, in here she's standing straight up pretty much with her head tilted, so I know the way the neck is bending.

Again, fair comment. I should really have spent more time looking for better references for the swimsuit. As it is, I think I've probably based the chest area more on a two-piece bikini than the type she's wearing.

A new thing that is troubling me:

SPOILER! :

I really wanted to get a new Kill la Kill painting out before the series ends, but I've come unstuck with the rough. The left hand and forearm are pretty shocking, I know, but it's the scissor blade that's bothering me. Given the shape of it, I'm guessing the planes of the blade must taper towards the back edge, but I can't work out how to place it in proper perspective. If push comes to shove, I can try making up a crude 3D render to get some idea of it, but I don't want to rely on something like that if I can avoid it.

Copped out in the end and just changed the overall composition. I think the arms are more natural this way in any case.

SPOILER! :

And done. Think I got all the anatomical problems sorted in the end. Process video tomorrow.