Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 177

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

  1. #141
    Three Trio Tres Member Gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    351
    Yeah, that's a good point actually. The way the lighting is in the photo I was using for reference, I don't think it stands out as much, but the way I'm trying to light mine, the cheekbone/muscle part would likely be more visible.



    Tried to suggest that as much as I could and also ended up reworking the hair a bit more. Think I'll call it done at that though - I've still got another request to sort out as well.

  2. #142
    Three Trio Tres Member Gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    351
    Process video for the above.


  3. #143
    Three Trio Tres Member Gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    351
    The other request I had lying around, Dexter Morgan this time. Easier going than the Sleepy Hollow one, as I was just asked to work from a specific photo, rather than taking it upon myself to try and invent a new image. Screwed up on the nose and maybe the hand a bit, but otherwise I'm fairly happy with it. I'll send it off to the recipient on monday, but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, please fire away.


  4. #144
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Undefeated Battle Sheep Champion
    Posts
    5,644
    nice, but I believe he should be dressed as a lumberjack

  5. #145
    Super Senior Member Demonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    nice, but I believe he should be dressed as a lumberjack
    Too soon man, too soon


    It looks like his lips are not alligned with the centre line of the face, which is easier seen if you look at the ref/promo image of Dexter. It looks like you started drawing the head as if it were lined up with the viewer when it actually appears to be slightly tilted back in the photo which is what gives the perspectives of the lips and nose (and since the painting replicates this but not for the upper face, it becomes confusing). It's something about the eyes I think. I also preferred the rendering on the Ichabod Crane painting, it just felt more finished than the Dexter version. Awesome otherwise c:
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 01-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.

  6. #146
    Three Trio Tres Member Gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    351
    It took me a minute to see it, but I think I get what you mean. What about if I moved his jaw thusly?

    SPOILER! :


    Not sure about the rendering - I kinda wanted to keep it loose this time, just to see how it would turn out. I could work some more texture into the skin though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    nice, but I believe he should be dressed as a lumberjack
    true

    SPOILER! :

  7. #147
    Three Trio Tres Member Gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    351
    Looking back at the process, I think the features being a bit off is more noticeable in the original sketch...


  8. #148
    Three Trio Tres Member Taragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Across the Isala
    Posts
    368
    Some really cool stuff here man, admirable skill and style. And the fact that you like Kavinsky.
    Don't really have anything to critisize though.

  9. #149
    Junior Member summers50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    38
    So, I was taking a look at your process video, and one thing that stuck out a lot to me was how you placed your facial features in the initial sketch. I'm kinda on the same track as Demonfyre.

    Capture1.JPGI think that the main thing is the way you used the guideline down the center of the face, I don't know if it should be coming behind the features or through the center of them. The part that affected a lot to me is drawing the bridge of the nose up against it, so everything got pinched towards that spot, since you were referencing the rest of the face from it. It's gotta be a bit more consistent the way you use guides.
    dafdafhjk.jpgIn this doohickey I put the guideline down the center of the face behind the features, check the profile out for what i mean. When the head is rotated, the features stay massed out in front of the line. If you look at the third one head, I pushed the bridge of the nose against the line and so I got that facial pinch that you had. (excuse bad drawings, hope you get point).

    Check out the way you make shapes, too. The wing of the nose looks thin.

  10. #150
    Three Trio Tres Member Gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Taragon View Post
    Some really cool stuff here man, admirable skill and style. And the fact that you like Kavinsky.
    Don't really have anything to critisize though.
    Hah, thank you. I was slightly gutted that I couldn't put actual Kavinsky tracks into that video (I think the youtube police already have me on file), but I think the Mitch Murder EP wasn't a bad replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by summers50 View Post
    So, I was taking a look at your process video, and one thing that stuck out a lot to me was how you placed your facial features in the initial sketch. I'm kinda on the same track as Demonfyre.

    Capture1.JPGI think that the main thing is the way you used the guideline down the center of the face, I don't know if it should be coming behind the features or through the center of them. The part that affected a lot to me is drawing the bridge of the nose up against it, so everything got pinched towards that spot, since you were referencing the rest of the face from it. It's gotta be a bit more consistent the way you use guides.
    dafdafhjk.jpgIn this doohickey I put the guideline down the center of the face behind the features, check the profile out for what i mean. When the head is rotated, the features stay massed out in front of the line. If you look at the third one head, I pushed the bridge of the nose against the line and so I got that facial pinch that you had. (excuse bad drawings, hope you get point).

    Check out the way you make shapes, too. The wing of the nose looks thin.
    Depressingly enough, that's actually not something I've ever considered. There's no doubt I really should be paying more attention to the guidelines I'm putting down though; I feel I'm relying far too much on fixing things on the fly during the rendering stage.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •