Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

So in this year's misguided attempt to pretend I'm Frank Frazetta:

Painting for a friend who's into LoL. Colours are pretty horrible, but my biggest concern at the moment is the sword. I feel like it should be more of a focal point, but whenever I try to add detail, it invariably merges with the background. I'm sure somebody thought it was really cute to model her sword on a bird's wing, but it's driving me to despair. Character sheet here, if anyone would like to see how it should look.

Zomygoodness this looks awesome! I actually love the colors and the detail its sweet! I dont quite have a solution for you, and I know you don't want to redo it... but I do have an idea. Right now the arm looks a tiny bit out of perspective. If her arm were more in front of her not only would the sword stand out more but the silhouette would be slightly stronger. I'm sure you dont want to go through the work of changing that, but just for future reference I guess. Anyway it looks great otherwise man!

I also like the monochromatic scheme going on. If you want to pop the sword out some, maybe try making a desaturated outline around it. Here's an example of what I mean below.

I think it helps to push the sword and the arm forward. I'm really impressed with the metal rendering. Looks awesome.

Aw man. The desaturated halo does look better, but I sent the finished painting off this morning... I'll need to see if I can go back to it. I was pleased with how the metal turned out myself though, thanks. Was using a kind of spatter-effect brush with the smudge tool - pushing the tone around with that seemed to give it a nice tarnished look.

Cora: I get what you mean; my original sketch actually did have her arm further forward. I only brought it back because I was concerned about not being able to get the entirity of the sword into the canvas without reducing the size of the main figure. I'll certainly bear it mind the next time anyway, probably best to spend some more time considering the composition before launching into things, thanks.

This is what I sent off in the end, somewhat overcooked. It looks like there's practically a lens-flare bouncing off her sword now...

SPOILER! :

Lately, I've found myself using Manga Studio a lot more. It's about the only program I've ever used where the pencil tool actually does feel like drawing with a mechanical pencil. It's difficult to explain why exactly, it just feels right.

"If only there were some way to combine my love of hot-blooded heroines with my love of electronic music from France", is how I will explain this one on subsequent occasions.

wow that's awesome :3 animation and alll :3
    sorry no crits atm!
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Hah, I'll not complain

Thanks very much.

A new thing.

Took a request ages ago to paint Dr. Depp in Sleepy Hollow, finally got round to working on it over the holidays. Kind of shot myself in the foot by trying to do it all on the one layer, as I think I've wound up without enough separation between the foreground and background, but I don't think there's much I can do about it at this stage. Probably make a few further tweaks to the hair and call it done.

This is a really nice work, Gaff, I'm impressed with the look of the brushwork, it's what makes your pieces shine. This one in particular starts to feel like an oil painting somewhat even though it's digital. But there are things I would say after looking at it for a bit.
    Around the mouth, Johnny depp has that setup on his face that sets him apart from other people, and cheeks to mouth shape is his most prominent feature, I'd say.
    depp.jpg It's this thing going on here hopefully you know what I mean (I suck at controlling digital paint)...
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/DeppLoverForever/Johnny%20Movie%20Stills/Sleepy-Hollow-DE-1.jpg
    http://www.tammyjoburns.com/wp-conte...ohnny-depp.jpg
    And since he's of Native American descent, compare:
    http://303magazine.com/wp-content/up...veamerican.jpg

He has other features, but I'm just pointing out to say the ones that stick out the most, should be exaggerated slightly so that you can capture a likeness to his face.