Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

I'm not sure of the actual motion of the character, but, if she were to just stand still and do the pose, I actually find the old sketch more properly balanced, however if your intention was to have her kinda in motion (hoping/running) then the new sketch is more reliable.

I did a red line just to suggest a find stylistic choice, I'm guessing you are trying to achieve Chibi, something cute.

I would recommend exaggerating the proportions a bit, like make the torso super small and narrow, and the hips larger. Also, for the red line I did, (A) is more in motion and (B) is kinda if the figure is standing still with one leg up.

Gonna wait for the final draft C: and cool cat painting!

Ah, thanks very much. I'm not used to doing the proportions like this, so that's a big help. My original intent was just to have her standing still, as the image was to go alongside the game's main menu, but I particularly like your A redline, so I think I'll work from that.

Fixed her up a bit, but sadly the game is already overdue, so I think this is as good as she's getting.

I've tried to follow DHB's redline as much as possible, but in the end, I've wandered back towards the original pose a bit more than I'd intended. At any rate, I think she looks far better than before.

Edit: Although I should probably look at that left forearm again. Argh.
    Last edited by Gaff; 10-08-2013 at 09:00 PM.

This is a little nit-picky, but I'd personally add a short line in the mouth to show a little separation of teeth or some red at the bottom as if the mouth was open. A little gray shading wouldn't hurt as well. The way it is now, the mouth kind of looks like you forgot to color it
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

One tip you'll always hear from me: never use pure grey or black! (unless in monochrome drawings then yeah of course :3 ) a little bit of blue in black already changes a heap! Black has no depth and it will always look separate from your drawings, and not blended in. Your lineart is like this as well. to let it blend in i'd suggest you to change its colour to slightly blue, purple or brown. In this case i think brown would do well with your colour pallette. Grey is a nasty colour, when you'll shade with pure grey your drawing will quickly get a "dirty" look. You might concider light blue or yellow.

Can't seem to get the separating line to work, but I have added shading to the teeth and I've mixed the blacks with a sort of purple/brown (which I think looks very nice).

As I've yet to get any irate emails asking why it's not finished yet, I'd appreciate any input on the anatomy for this horrible mess. I really want to scrap it and start over, but I've got other work that needs doing and I can ill afford the time.

Things look really...chunky? The lines are really shaky, or ridged I should say, probably because you are working with low res and thick lines. I do that too, except I work with high res so its not super noticeable ^^;. You can see the lines are really unstable. maybe try the pen tool to make the lines smoother. Add some quality to it!. Or if you have any vector program, maybe make it a vector may be beneficial as well.

Secondly, I'm guessing her clothes is suppose to be loose. I think there might be a better way to show that rather then having the bottom of the shirt all wavy. Right now it looks like the bottom of the shirt is cut unevenly. You can try depicting this with shades, I think that may be the better choice.

I see what you're getting at, but I usually work on an A4 canvas at 300dpi - I'd have thought that would be high enough? The lineart was done using the pen stabiliser in SAI, so I don't know whether that might have anything to do with the lines turning that way when the image is scaled down. I did also try vectorising the lines, which seems to have helped, but it's still showing jagged edges here and there...

At any rate, I redrew the lineart, changed the eyes and reshaped the bottom of her shirt. Still not wonderful, but I think it's looking much better.

Hey, your lines look really nice like this! You might try experimenting some and add some coloured lighting and shadows. The shades look good but not really special, and adding coloured lights and shadows help add atmosphere.

Thank you I submitted all the bits for the game today, so I think I'd rather move onto something else now, but I'll remember to try that next time I'm doing something in a similar style.