Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

Very pretty! Maybe add some darker shading to the face like you have to the neck. Her face is a little too flat being so light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Thanks! That's a fair point though, I think my using an overlay layer on top of the colours has bleached her face out a bit.

For some reason, the comment that no-one on manga tutorials was drawing in an overtly 'manga' style stuck in my mind, so here's a thing I'm doing for an iOS game.

SPOILER! :

As the in-game model will be quite tiny, I was originally going to try and stick to hard cel-shading, but I couldn't get the eyes to look right, so I've kinda copped out and painted over them instead. Also seem to be losing a lot of the energy from the original sketch when I'm inking (hence inclusion of original for comparison).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    For some reason, the comment that no-one on manga tutorials was drawing in an overtly 'manga' style stuck in my mind, so here's a thing I'm doing for an iOS game.

SPOILER! :

As the in-game model will be quite tiny, I was originally going to try and stick to hard cel-shading, but I couldn't get the eyes to look right, so I've kinda copped out and painted over them instead. Also seem to be losing a lot of the energy from the original sketch when I'm inking (hence inclusion of original for comparison).

Maybe it's just me, but there's something odd about her left (our right) shoulder (too far down or the curve is too steep maybe?). But since you said the model is going to be really small, I don't know if it will be as noticeable. There is the distinct possibility that I'm just insane, though ^_^

Very cute, Gaff! Keep in mind that even in this very manga-ish style, symmetry still really applies. The lengths of her arms, the lengths and thickness of her legs, and the broadness of each side of the shoulders vary from their corresponding parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Yeah, that's a fair comment. I think I was so hung up on getting the style to look right that I was losing sight of the anatomy.

In the meantime, something else - a commission painting I finished the other day of the Baron from The Cat Returns. I'd agreed to do this one without having any knowledge of painting fur, so it was a bit of a trial by fire. Painted entirely in Procreate, which handily now records a video of your painting automatically.

I'd say that trial by fire was worth it, looks very nice and professional to me. The only thing, and this may just be me, but the hand seems a tad on the small side. Other than that, this is good looking piece, I like the way you did the feline eyes as well.

SPOILER! :
    Hey Gaff, it's cool to see you trying out manga style, i've been so used to your more realistic cartoony style that it's refreshing to see. Other than what was mentioned above I also find that the figure looks off balance. I would consider moving her straight leg to the left a bit and really straightening it (and the line work) so you can emphasize that it is planted on the ground and is supporting her weight. I also find that the body proportions are a little out, her breasts in particular seem to sit low down the torso despite the deformation.

I find that there is a blurred effect to this drawing which kinda makes it distracting to look at. If there is supposed to be movement, ie, the cat is spinning around on the ball of his foot or something, I think I would keep the lagging side blurred, but refine the important parts of the figure. Especially the eyes in particular, since they are so big and full of expression and personality. Other than those small features, very nice indeed.

Iaidoka: Thanks! I wasn't too sure about the hands, proportionally. Looking back now, I see the Baron actually does have quite human proportions in the film, but at the time, I thought he was shorter with a more exaggerated head. Doubtless an important lesson about prior research...

Demonfyre: Yeah, looking back at my reference image, I see the girl was actually leaning against something behind her, rather than supporting herself on that leg. I've tried to address all the comments I've had so far and re-worked the rough sketch. Changed her centre of gravity, limb proportions, etc. I think it looks stiff at the moment though; might try tipping her upper-body forwards a little.

As for the blurring, I suspect that's probably down to my mainly using a soft airbrush for the painting, then going over the fur with a harder tip. The painting was actually to be used as a 150x150px avatar, so given the need for a small size, I had thought keeping the outer parts softer would help draw attention into the middle. It has wound up looking too soft though and it's probably not something I'd try again.