Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

ohhh wow this looks nice!! lineweight looks great, though i guess you can use more lineweight variation in the contour lines of the two people :3 they are now all the equal broadness and it looks a bit like cut-out figures if you understand what i mean :3 this might be your objective then it's fine, but else i'd change it a bit :3

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    I think the lineweight looks fine, except that the girl's hand and forearm may look a little better with thinner lines. Also, I think her mouth is a little too low.
    I did wonder about the hand, but that was the part I wanted to stand out in particular - my hope was that it would 'pop' more than the rest of the figure. I agree about the mouth though; I've nudged it up a little and redrawn her chin to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Callesthe View Post
    ohhh wow this looks nice!! lineweight looks great, though i guess you can use more lineweight variation in the contour lines of the two people :3 they are now all the equal broadness and it looks a bit like cut-out figures if you understand what i mean :3 this might be your objective then it's fine, but else i'd change it a bit :3
    Yeah, I think what bothers me the most is that the lines are much the same on both characters - ideally I would have liked the bloke to recede more into the background. My mistake was probably drawing both figures in separate files, so I only realised the lines were so uniform when I moved them both onto the same canvas. Thanks anyway

I was in a hurry with this one as I wanted it for a cover design contest on another board, so here's what I've submitted:

Did I ever tell you how much I love the way you draw hair? Oh well, I have now. Anyway, the only thing that I see worth mentioning is that the guys hand in front of his face, his fingers seem to only have two joints, one attaching them to the bones of the hand, and the primary joints in each finger. I know this image isn't amazingly close to what you have in the drawing but it will do. I guess using this image i'm just trying to show that the secondary joints in the fingers do show somewhat, even though it's very subtle.

http://cdn.teenink.com/art/Sept04/HandOverFace72.jpeg

Thanks man

But yeah, I get what you mean about the fingers. I'll try and tidy up the hand before I put it on deviantart or anything.

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    Let's talk about selling reality. When I look at a drawing, I want it to convince me that I'm not looking at a drawing, but that I'm looking into another world. A lot of things have to be right for that to happen. One of which is, all the elements of the drawing need to make sense together.

Now to my point, the girl is holding a gun, but considering what she's holding, there isn't much emotion to her face. Perhaps if she's a twisted character, we'll see pleasure or something. Of if she's a more ordinary person, fear. Or if she's used to wielding weapons, perhaps a dead focus. But none of these come across in the expression you've drawn.

Another thing is that if she plans on using that gun, she needs to be looking down the barrel and aiming it. But you've drawn her eyes such that she's looking away from the gun, off to one side.

The man on the other hand, is far better .

I apologize if I come across as rude. I intend only to be helpful, and I think sometimes people worry so much about sugar coating what they say, that they don't offer that much help.

That's enough from me!

-Scarlet
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo

I did consider bringing her arm to the front and having her aim directly at the viewer, but I wasn't happy with that as a composition. Specifically, I didn't want to obscure her face, and having her aim somewhere else would mean directing her eyes away too. Ultimately, I don't feel it's that much of an issue; for arguement's sake, she could aim at one of two people standing side-by-side, glancing to ther other without moving the gun from the first.

The expression could be better though, I agree on that. Even at the time I drew it, I wasn't satisfied with it, but like always, I'd left it to the last minute to stick something in for the competition and I didn't have time to change it any further. I was probably too hung up on getting the type set and worrying about whether the lower band was still readable.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletHue View Post
    I apologize if I come across as rude. I intend only to be helpful, and I think sometimes people worry so much about sugar coating what they say, that they don't offer that much help.
    Much as I feel that starting a post with "let's talk about selling reality" makes it sound like you have an axe to grind, I do agree that it's better people say what's on their mind in this sort of situation. I think it's worthing learning to meet even the harshest criticism with "thank you and may I have another?"

Think this is going to be the final version, but I've tried to address all the comments I've had on it so far.

I'm going to update the tumblr image soon, so the earlier link may break or end up looking identical.
    Last edited by Gaff; 04-26-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Smaller image size.

Really like that package-y(?) sort of style... Lack of shading on her arm holding the pistol makes the foreshortening on the arm look a little weird to me, alrough it isn't super noticable unless you go examining it super-closely I guess. Could probably be solved by making the angle of the sleeve more straight-on and rounder?... If you want to be a perfectionist, anyway.

Yeah, I do like it through, just being helpful.

Shading was something I really couldn't make up my mind about on this one. Originally, I was going to try shading it Hotel Dusk style, just with loose hatching and such, but in the end I thought there might be too much going on, what with the pattern on top of it and all.

I dunno - tl;dr, I get what you mean about the arm. Cheers man

Once again, I owe a friend of mine a favour and, as she's a big fan of cult film Buckaroo Banzai, I thought I'd paint her a poster for it. For reasons that were clearer at the time though, I thought it would be hilarious if I painted it in the style of Frank Frazetta. Click and "view original" for big.

I reckon this is about 80 percent there, but I've been staring it for so long that I think I'm starting to see problems which aren't there and miss ones which are, so I'd be greatful for fresh input.

At the moment, I'm aware that the cowboy hat is not great and Penny (on the right) has a dodgy right arm. I'd quite like to get the figures to look as if they're resting naturally on the junk in the foreground, rather than floating on it, so if anyone has any thoughts on that in particular, I'd be much obliged.