Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

Any better?

Admittedly, the seam was a bit of an afterthought. Originally, I was going to try using a screentone for her stockings instead.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the umbrella though - is it the shaft that looks flat?

It looks awesome Alan the way you drew that hair is amazing!

I think I will have to agree with Dragon though, the umbrella does look pretty flat, which stands out because the rest of it isn't. Maybe if you darken/lightly shade the parts where the umbrella reclines slightly? (If that makes any sense)

I have to agree with Dragon about the legs looking off. The seam looks better, but I believe the big problem is that the far foot is too far away. It takes a couple looks to really notice it, so the eye kind of tricks your mind into think that calf is both of the legs (if that makes sense). I'd suggest moving the far foot closer or maybe making the thighs look more seperate.

The piece is really good. I love her hair!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

^ What Jjjorgie says

And about the umbrella, I was talking about the bottom part, the ends of the "spokes." Here's a couple pictures showing the bottoms. I don't know the terminology for the parts of the umbrella! Dang my limited vocabulary! I'm gonna call the bottom the "webbing" though that's wrong. If you maybe tilt the left tip and the right tip up a little, that may help to give it a little more dimension. I hope that makes sense, but if it doesn't, here's some pictures Thanks for getting through all that.

Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Hmm, yes... I do think the umbrella needs some help.

I think the proportion of the umbrella compared to the girl is a little off--- it seems too big. Also, some perspective here, you need to match the perspective of the umbrella to the figure. (It does appear to be too 2D, if you catch all these person's drifts)

- - - Updated - - -

...And is that umbrella holding a coffee in it's *hand*?
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Lol. It sure is. That's dedication...(sorry for spamming a bit o_O)
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Work has conspired to keep me from going back to that last picture. I do have a couple of new things though:

and

Struggled a bit with the colours on this one.

I think your drawing with the lady holding the umbrella looks great! I love the bold shading of the dress, it sort of hints at the texture of the dress, and it shows just how confident you are with your style. Which is awesome!

The leg looks a lot better too! I'm in no way an anatomy expert. However, I think that the lower leg is still rather thick in comparison with the upper leg. Usually, the fat distribution in women is around the thighs, so they should be the widest point of the lower extremities. The lower leg you drew looks like it's as wide as the thigh, which can throw off the perspective. I think perhaps the seam you added would be an adequate border (which may have been why some, including myself, thought initially that the legs were positioned together). However, this is your style and not mine, so it's really your call ultimately!

As for the umbrella, I think it looks fine. It'll probably pop out more with a little more shading. One thing perhaps, that contributes to the flat feeling, is that you included 5 folds (or whatever they're called) to the umbrella. Usually, the more distant ones are angled upwards to give an impression of depth. This is only vaguely apparent in the examples you provided, but those don't have as many folds.

Thank you

It took me a long while before I actually saw the problem with the proportions of her leg. I was so convinced it was just the stocking seam that was off, that I couldn't see how small her thigh looks by comparison to the calf. Still not sure what to do with the umbrella really. I might just replace it altogether. At the time, I put all the effort into figure, so when it came to drawing the brolly, it was rather phoned in.

Also: another Blade Runner video.

Although I'm happy enough with how it turned out, I think this one was kind of a failure, in a way. In trying to rush it through before the end of the year, I didn't really manage to keep the style consistent with the other ones.