Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Occasionally Draws.

The cover for my mate's collection of short horror stories. Like Mike's page on Facebook or go to Wattpad for details of the book (due out on Kindle soon) and a few extracts.

wow this is really cool. nice texture. maybe if you add similar texture to the hollows of the font bedtime, it would look better. i dunno. just an opinion. good job!
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Thanks

That's actually quite a good idea about adding the texture to the font. The image was already approved for use, but I'll ask him and see what he thinks.

Oh wow, that looks like it will be interesting
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 10-06-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Something new:

This is a gift piece for a friend who's very much into collecting Japanese Megadrive games. Hence, I'm trying to work in a lineless, textured style to try and imitate the look of the box art from the time. Unfortunately, it's not a style I'm used to and (making matters even worse) I originally thought I was going to need to have it done inside of two days. Cue me making a bodge-job of the anatomy and winding up with a half-arsed attempt to copy an old Frank Frazetta painting.

In the main, I think it's looking better now than it was (early versions looks scarily like late-period Michael Jackson), but I'm particularly concerned about the right arm. I might just be over thinking it, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I could make it look a bit more natural, I'm all ears.

I think it looks nice already, but since you pointed it out; yeah the shoulders-neck are a bit unevenly spaced. If you flip it around a bit you might get the distance to the drawing you need to solve it.

nice! skin looks great! texture, especially on jeans is cool too.

maybe try to lessen the light and highlight on the arm on the right. since its farther back, maybe it should be more in the shadows...also maybe you need to nudge his head a little to our right, just a tiny bit. to fit the flow indicated by the leg on the left. maybe tilt it a little?
    tho i'm not sure. but i hope that helps.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Thanks for the input guys, but in the end, I decided the original sketch just wasn't cutting it.

This, I think, is a better composition, but I'm still not completely sure about the colours. In particular, I think the skintone is too washed out and I'm not sure what, if anything, I could really do to get around that. The castle could be sharper as well, but I'm pretty rotten with landscapes and I'm finding it difficult to harden up the outline of it without taking attention away from the foreground.

Unfortunately, I've kinda lost that oil-pastel feeling too - couldn't seem to get the texture back into it without destroying the tones in the process.

Book cover is really nice, great composition.

The composition of the cartridge box is also excellent, possibly the only thing I would change is flip the illustration horizontally so it directs the eye from the boomerang? Down to the right hand. Unless you already had this in mind with Japanese going right to left?

I also think the castle is working quite well as is considering the vicinity to the light source. Also as you said it would take away from the foreground

Thank you Mike tells me the book cover's been very well received thus far, so I think I'll try and see if I can pick up any other commissions along similar lines.

As for the MD box, I think you may have rumbled me. It did go through my mind when I was trying to get a good composition for the piece that the boomerang should really be in his right hand.

Having said that though, my own feeling was that, if the figure is flipped with his right arm raised, the image doesn't read as well - I find it more pleasing to have the 'empty space' on the left, moving up towards the boomerang on the right. I do understand where you're coming from - going the other way, you're seeing the boomerang, then following his aim - but I dunno, maybe it's just personal taste. It's certainly something I'll keep in mind the next time.