Now this is an issue that's bothered me for a long time. I absolutely hate--hate--HATE it when people blame the media for things. People seem to think that independent thinking and mass media cannot coexist on many levels. They seem to think one cannot watch movies, play video games, and listen to certain types of music without being some kind of drone or sheep. As if media is this all-powerful mind control device that cannot be overcome. I've always thought that was really stupid. These people are giving the media, which is mostly an entertainment outlet, way too much credit.

And in thinking this way, these people start trying to hamper or limit the media on the fly, saying shit like "oh, we shouldn't have violence in games", "oh we shouldn't broadcast beauty pageants", etc, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, there are a few things that SHOULDN'T ever be broadcast, but come on really? Are you suggesting that these things affect people on such a level that it will destroy their daily lives? Media is NOT THAT influential or, at least, it isn't if you don't want it to be.

So these people who pretend like they respect "independent thought" and thus feel they must hamper the media are actually people who cannot think for themselves, or do not believe in thinking for oneself. A person who truly respects independent thought wouldn't give a single crap about "media influence", but would rather be consumed in teaching people how to process the information in a logical and categorically appropriate way. In other words, you don't need to destroy the media in order to have independent thinking. You just need more of the latter. But where are our parents, role models and authority figures to teach such a thing?

I guess it would be easier to destroy the media than to rely on parents to actually do their job.