Thread: FGRaptor's Art

Arrow FGRaptor's Art

Hey, I've only recently started drawing properly, so my level is still very amateurish. My goal is to improve enough to make my own comic, though this is not my primary goal. I'm doing this mainly for myself because I want to make a comic, not for anyone else.
    I don't have that much yet since I've only been drawing for abotu 2 weeks. I will try the "draw 1 thing a day" thing soon, after I finish coloring one more image, to get more practice done. I believe my main problems are anatomy, hair, and straight lines. I'm drawing using a Wacom Bamboo, though I've been scribbling with a pencil too. I've been using PS for years, but only for graphical design, not drawing. After some practice now though I found some useful shortcuts and tools which should make any future drawing easier and hopefully better.
    Enough talk, let's post the drawings I got so far (I'll leave out pure scribblings since I've seen people don't like them so much).

The character on the throne is missing, it's the girl below.

This one I still want to colour. The anatomy is definitely off I think, her boring stance is also part of it I think. The waist, the shoulders, and the feet don't feel right to me.

Hello, since you just started here is a useful set of info previously posted up by user; Toast. Rather than critique as such, im going to link you to some resources you will find more useful than me going over anatomy.

hey
    before you even think about getting into anatomy, you must understand the basics in art so that your ventures into other aspects in art are much easier and more effective. Here is a list of things you need to learn, as well as some images. For some, I'll put an exercise in parentheses. It's preferable that you do this in order, therefore it will be easier. Feel free to PM me with any questions:

-Drawing what you see, not what you know (blind contours and drawing an image upsidedown are the 2 best exercises for this)
    -Seeing space and negative shapes (negative space drawing)
    -Being able to see/create forms beyond their 2d shape (cross contours)
    -Measuring size, angles, and shape relationships using a tool and without using a tool. (ex: being able to see how far the tip of the nose is from the corner of the mouth, using a ruler if you're unsure)
    For all 4 of these, you MUST check out the book The New Drawing With The Right Side of your Brain. Don't fret, you don't have to pay for shit because you have the internet! Here's a download for the pdf:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qw77ll80oxyo8c2
    -Values and depth. Understanding how light affects a form, understanding contrast in values. Images. Please look through each image carefully!! To get the most out of everything, draw along side and make notes
    SPOILER! :

-Techniques with your tools. In this case, pencil techniques. Rendering techniques (shading and adding values), working principles. Images:
    SPOILER! :

Then once you understand all of these and you are successful with it, you can get into this stuff:

-Basic Portraiture (this way you are able to put all your new found knowledge to the test).
    -basic Anatomy and Figure Drawing. This is what will require the most resources, so here is a quick little image collection. At this point, you should start building up a decent collection of references and resources, including photo references and whatever other useful information you find.
    I will add a few images that will help you, but what you should REALLY be doing is look at more books now. Anyone else reading will know what I'm about to mention
    The 2 teachers you need to check out are Andrew Loomis and Glenn Vilppu. With Loomis, you should look at his books in order, starting with Fun with a Pencil.
    http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/
    With Vilppu, here is his Drawing manual. He also has many various instructional videos that are VERY helpful. You can look for a torrent if you want.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?paqy6vsbdq3tv8o
    Although some of the art can look outdated (especially in Fun with a Pencil), the information is extremely valuable and I guarantee will help you as long as you utilize it correctly.
    As you continue with anatomy, you most likely will find that having a decent understanding of the muscular/skeletal system is beneficial. These two guides (especially atlas of human anatomy) are my favorite, as they go into detail on the muscles and bones of each body part
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?6dtmu58har6cvsl
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bu6xhvg22vg37wv
    -Basic Composition (do daily compositional sketches. Landscapes, scenes, etc). Image:
    SPOILER! :

-Efficient workflow, from working out idea to finishing your work
    -Drawing from memory
    -Perspective (one point perspective, 2 point, so on. You can easily find a guide online bruv)
    -Constructing objects with shapes with planes. Being able to draw forms in perspective and in different angles
    -Color. Images:
    SPOILER! :

TIPS
    *Draw and sketch with as few lines as possible. Avoid chicken-scratch lines, sketch with your whole arm as opposed to flicking your wrist around. Be flow-y with your work and don't strain yourself. This will promote confidence and force you to plan out where you'll put your lines beforehand
    *Speaking of confidence, BE CONFIDENT! No one is an amazing artist in the beginning. We all have times where we despise our own work and think we'll never improve, but we will. Just stay determined and keep practicing, and you will one day come to a point where you are truly happy with your work.
    *It's completely fine to work with manga outside of your studies, but please try to avoid mixing manga with it. Proportions and shading in stylized work is a lot different and will mess what you're trying to learn.

good luck and GODSPEED! even if you don't make use of this post at all, hopefully others can.
    For all the images in the spoilers etc, go to this thread and scroll down to post #6 of the first page.

As for some pointers, the poses are stiff so I would suggest looking into gestures. This video is great at explaining some of the anatomy breakdown (including the gesture);

Also, since you have started out, I would make sure to use references. I found a reference you will be wanting for the pose above.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

Thanks a lot, I'm getting the PDFs right now and will get to it when I have time. Looks like I got my work for the coming days cut out for me.

Buy a human anatomy book.

Draw 1 page of poses every day, it should look kind of like this.

Draw a page of anatomy every day. Learn how the bones work together and how they move, and how muscles expand and contract.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    The anatomy advice you've been given is important stuff to be sure. In addition, and in my opinion more importantly, you gotta learn to relax when you draw your figures. It's vital that the figures look like they are coming to life, and the only way to achieve that is to really let go when you draw them. Try not to get too fixated on the exact placement of individual lines in the beginning stages of a drawing. Come back later and refine the linework but to begin just let the pencil flow to form a vague representation of what you want; much like the gesture pages Aether talks about but I'd say even loser than those. Then when you go to do final lines, curves are your friend. Human beings are more curved than they are straight by a long shot, so avoid using perfectly straight lines on your figures.

-Scarlet
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo