Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hetalia: World Religions

Hetalia: World Religions

So I suddenly had this idea. Don't ask me how. Turns out I wasn't the first when I researched the notion though, but it's rare enough.

It would be extremely funny and maybe a little offensive. If done correctly, though, even people who respect any listed beliefs might be able to laugh it off.

Thoughts?

Eh... No matter how good the humour is, I feel like you're always going to end up with a couple of die-hard religious nuts who will stop at nothing to get you banned, even if you're running non-profit online. Let's not forget that people still try and ban the likes of Harry Potter for merely vaguely resembling elements of satanism... Then again, there was also that chibi-styled manga which humourously dealt with the modern history of Afganistan. But yeah, that's Japan in a nutshell.

Perhaps it's just best to say that if you want it to be actually funny, it might be better to prepare to make a few enemies from the outset and attempt to be as blunt as possible from the start. If you're planning on finding somebody to publish it, then, well... Yeah. Good luck with that. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Then again, there was also that chibi-styled manga which humourously dealt with the modern history of Afganistan. But yeah, that's Japan in a nutshell.
    Really? Whats it called?

Afghanis-tan.

...No, really.

Jubeh told me about a manga called Saint Oniisan which is a similar idea. Jesus and Buddha living in Japan. Done right it can be good but you'd have to be careful about what you put in it.

As long as you don't make fun of any figureheads I don't see how you could be directly criticized.
    And if mostly every belief was parodied (eg anthropomorphize atheism and agnosticism) everyone would feel a lot less miffed, I think.

hmmm i think it sounds interesting as long as you personify the religions without mocking their traits. though you can use their disputes in humour as well i guess ex: in my story which revolves around military, the airforce, the navy, and the infantry are always in competition. you could end up with some pretty good humour coming from whoever would represent judaism throughout history they ( unfortunately) tend to be dumped on alot. it might also be an interesting way to showcase a short bit of stories from all over the world. of course there will be problems, but just make sure you didn't try to create any problems i'd love to see someone do this!

That is a LOT of smiley faces. O_o
    Yeah I have those sentiments too obviously.

Isn't Hetalia copyrighted? Do you think the manga artist will allow you to use the name? How will you pull this off without getting labeled the next Nick Simmons, I mean your idea is basically a tweaking of what the one Mangaka did, isn't it? Perhaps you could post the main idea and show how it'll differentiate from the aforementioned work?

I doubt the name will actually be Hetalia, as Hetalia is just the Japanese word for Italy. I believe it's just a similiar concept. Why not Atheism and Agnostics? Just make stereotypes THAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN AND ARE NOT overly OFFENSIVE.(IE, Don't portray morminism as practicing polygamy as they have not done that for hundreds of years, don't portray catholism as a child molester)