Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TheAlmanac's Art Critique thread Returns.

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar

TheAlmanac's Art Critique thread Returns.

Yo I made Imporvements. No longer using much lineart. When my scanner works I'll show you what I've been doing.

so here's some art:

This is still here just because I want to remember what not to do.
    SPOILER! :

I suck at side view right now I think.

Last edited by AlmanacnamedTime; 08-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    It's sad that no one has commented yet so...
    1. I really like this one, I think it's your best here. The nose is a little creepy though, and I can't tell if it's a guy or a girl. (It looked like a guy to me but the more I stare at it...maybe it's just because I'm tired...)
    2. Yeah, the mouth needs help. I'm not sure how to explain this but...in manga, when the mouth is open from the side, you drop the lower jaw down a bit just slightly. You draw the lips like you would when they're closed (an elongated "m" shape) but just stretch it a litte. Then you draw in the mouth. Depending on the angle you might be able to see the upper and/or bottom teeth-row-thing. Make sure to leave a little section of "skin" between the edge of the mouth and the lips.
    (Of course it changes when they're screaming or something....open the mouth up, draw just and edge of the top teeth, and draw the far side of the mouth---like a backwards "c.")
    3. It's...okay. His eyebrow is uneven and his hair is just plain strange.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Yes I agree it is very sad.
    Explanations:
    1 its supposed to be a girl, jacked up on the eyelashes so erased them. they were bad. like my last month bad. I refuse to post that.
    2 got it.
    3 the inconsistency is due to the fact that my model wasnt still, at all. plus i made him a kid, he's one of my teachers.

Thank you for your helpfulness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Don't forget the cheekbones. In manga much of the underlying skull structure is simplified, but the cheekbones are not, since they are important to the frame of the face. The cheekbone and the brow forms a s-curve, but it can look very different from person to person. Even if the shape itself is not defined in manga other lines and elements such as the eyebrows, eyes, ear and hair are wrapped around it and will look out of place unless you have considered the character or persons cheekbone

This is just for extra clarity, if the above didn't make any sense at all
    SPOILER! :

Hey man. Looks like you're starting out, and I'll keep my comments general so you can have an idea of what to practice.

I love your use of guidelines. You seem to have tried hard to make the features look correct. Also you appear to have drawn fairly largely, and I applaud you for that because it's good practice to do so.

Now, you can work on a few things to get better. Your drawings look a bit unsure at this moment, and there are a few hints that make me feel like you're not drawing your lines boldly. The most important practice I'd suggest is that, if you're working from real life, screw the mistakes. Use a charcoal stick or a grease pencil and spend no more time than five minutes on each realist picture. Don't be worried if all the little details look wrong, because if they do, just draw another picture. If you do this regularly, you'll increase in accuracy and your marks will take on a vibrancy of their own.

Some tips: (1) Learn where to vary mark thickness. Lots of people think drawing faces only uses thin lines, but varying thickness at the right places makes the drawing a LOT better because it shows where the shadows are. It doesn't even have to be a line; just a lightly or heavily shaded area. (2) Learn the mass of the head and its planes, which comes after you know what the bulk is like. At the very least you should basically know what the forehead, sides of the cheekbone, bottom of the nose, and triangular jaw and chin look like to draw in perspective. It's very architectural. (3) At this size scale, learn how to draw with your arm, sometimes with your wrist, and rarely with your fingers.

@Rubisko ty I never got that with this style before.

@Hamachi, I will try that. It sounds fun.

Thanks!
    My Story Thread

hey man nice pics, not ever anime style has those cheekbones like that and not every person has such obvious cheekbones either so don't worry, you might however want to try and give the faces you draw a little more bone structure mainly around the jaw line, and try to centre your face so it's symetrical on both sides an example in the last picture, the facial features are actually a little off centre to the left.

Hope to see more pics and hope this helped :3
    Last edited by Cloudy; 04-03-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Glad you got more comments on here.
    Great post about the cheek bones, I didn't even notice that. I'll try to incorporate that consciencely in my drawings now too.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

I drew this with the groupboard:
    SPOILER! :

(it should be noted I used the mouse)
    My Story Thread

I won't apologize for double posting, because not many post here.
    More art:

the first drawing modified:
    SPOILER! :

a mecha made of trash:

SPOILER! :
    [IMG]http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/098/1/0/mecha_made_of_trash_by_thealmanac-d4vgcbr.jpg
    [/IMG]

and something that I'm working on as a panel:

SPOILER! :
    [IMG]http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/098/4/5/blade__a_panel___rough__by_thealmanac-d4vgbzf.jpg
    [/IMG]
    My Story Thread