Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need A Writer

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar

I Need A Writer

Not paid, sorry, but if you want some practice with short stories, I want the practice with the script followin' and drawin' part.

I already have a concept, so it's sort of a challenge---you would take the concept, write the scripts, and send em' back to me. I would then draw it out and post them online, If you want more control over layout and such I'll even be willing to send you rough drafts so you can comment and critique.

Here's the idea: Set in an urban Japanese city and involving mainly two college age (exchange?) students, it involves the main character who gains super powers when he accidentially microwaves some chemical/fake scientific element....becoming, well, at first I had him dubbed "Mercury Man" but that now seems too...negative. (Mercury!?!?! What was I thinking!?!?!)

So the writer has a lot of freedom...just take the concept and run with it.
    It's a really short series project, 10 installments, 16 pages each. (At least, that's short for me...xD) The genre would be action/adventure shonen, with a fun, fantastical element thrown in here and there. I only have three stipulations, which are: 1. No language, whatsoever (I'm even going to take out the "craps" and "darns" if you throw those in there---sorry if you think it's childish, but it's a matter of personal integrity on my part. 2. No sexual content---at all. My guide for the no language should give you a clue about how strongely I will feel about this one too. 3. No bloody, over-the-top, and in other ways too mature or offensive violence. My target age here are boys between ages 10-12(ish), so yeah.

Sorry that I haven't posted any of my work yet. I lean towards more of a hobbyist style. I'm working on the plot of this series that I'm going alone on, but I don't feel confident enough to start drawing in seriousness with that yet. (I mean I could, but it would take me forever...) so this would help me improve my speed. Also it would be a challenge for me b/c I've never actually drawn from another writer's script...I've always used my own. So I mostly want to have fun with this, and go wherever with it, and am looking for a writer with the same mindset. (I think...)

Post questions below, if you're really really interested you can PM me.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    I could use the practice. your fine on the your stipulations at least with me. the only issue is me not knopwing really anything about japan itself.

Hmm, that would be a problem...my advice for that would be to emmerse yourself in wikipedia...plus read some more Japanese-ish manga. (e.g., they leave the honorifics and SFX in the translation, etc.)

What we could do if you really want to do it is send me the outline, which I will go over and check for continuity and um, authentic Japanese-ness(?) and then send it back to you. You would write the scripts, and then send them to me. I'd go over them and make sure everything checks out, let you know if I've changed anything, and then draw everything.

This would be something that's huge on communication. Let's me see if anyone else is interested first.

We could even have a team going on---two writers you know. If you want to do something like that.

two writers would be cool havent done that before though. also half my manga are in japanese. I get the honorifics and am learning the language, its just the actual place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Ah, I see.
    Well then, other than some research on setting, I'm not sure what you would need.
    Check out books on art and cooking, crafts, school life? Listen to Japanese music...

You proabably wouldn't have to do as much research as I would, since I'm the one who's going to be drawing it, anyway.

101 Dalmations Member Shindoutou's Avatar
    Well, I don't have any experience in writing, I've written stories with others though, but with around 6 writers at once, just passing it around.. But I am willing to try and practice my writing skills, especially since I will be making my own manga (which is now in the starting phase)

I don't know if you need people with much experience, but otherwise I would be very much interested in trying this, even with two writers, it sounds interesting.

By the way, do you have some kind of story ready yet? Like some events, stuff that happen, where the story will lead to and so on, or is that also left to the writer(s)?

Hey Denno. If you want, you and Almana could team up. That might work out perfect. I'm not sure how we would handle the logistics---you and I and him would all have to coordinate, I would supervise, but mainly leave the writing up to you. (Which includes the story makin' part.)

Here's the idea: Set in an urban Japanese city and involving mainly two college age (exchange?) students, it involves the main character who gains super powers when he accidentially microwaves some chemical/fake scientific element....becoming, well, at first I had him dubbed "Mercury Man" but that now seems too...negative. (Mercury!?!?! What was I thinking!?!?!)
    ^^^That's actually really all I had as far as ideas go, I wanted to give the writers extra freedom. You would come up with an outline, characters, and the script. Like I said, it's a (relatively) short project for a writer---10 installments, 16 pages each.
    You and Almanac should really think about teaming up, it would be great for all of us.
    (Of course then we would actually have to FINISH it...)

I'm cool with a collab(something I've wanted to do for about a year anyway). If you need help with writing(either of you) i've already written a manga(am drawing it). However, if we do do this, could we change it to a city in the us? maybe a fake place, or set it somewhere in the future so that I can make it explainable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Hmm, what do you think Denno? I feel very strongly that we should do this as authentic as possible to a "true" manga. I understand that you are not as familiar with Japanese culture, but if you did a collab, then that would eliminate some of the burden because research is split between two people.
    Besides, all you have to do is write it, like I said, I'm the one who's going to be worried about authenticity.