Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the innovation?

Well some platformers (arcade types) are actually really badass story-wise. Then sometimes they're hilarious. Castlevania is an example of both, really.

Where is the innovation, you ask? Indies:

Overgrowth.
    Uplink.
    Hammerfight.
    Crayon Physics.

Pretty much everything in the Humble Indie Bundles.

If you didn't read the OP, he mentioned indies already.

Im tired, I just got off work, ate a sloppily made sandwich and I'm about to take out the trash but

Is this thread fucking serious.

You know how much I hate selective memory. A shitload. Loads and loads of SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

My grandmother's nuclear family never existed in the first place, yet she insists on going on about the good old days. You remember the good old days when black people had to use the side door to get into the theater and women couldnt wear pants. Awesome times.

So where's the innovation? Maybe, just maybe, its something like our childhood generation of games where it was buried by tons of ASS AND FUCK.

Why does nobody remember the shitty games? Is the angry video game nerd the only one? Did anyone play the bill and ted game on the nes, or the tazmanian devil game on genesis. Does anybody remember the atari jaguar?

Do you know why those games you love were so innovative for the time? Its because the guys that made them are the closest to that generation's indie developers. Are you mad at publishers? That's just too bad because publishers rule the entertainment world. Are you mad at developers? Why, because they have bills to pay and mouths to feed?

Its not like innovation is what people really want anyway. They shit all over the wii and kinect and don't even buy actual unique games. What people really want is a new thing to shoot at.

It was nazis first, right. Then zombies? What else is left. Possibly robots? Is Binary Domain the way forward? What about horses. A game where you just fucking shoot horses.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

Also, I dunno if this really counts, but back when I had it on my Snes and all that shit, Earthbound was as innovative as RPGs came, in my eyes. But it was probably just doing the same thing everyone else was doing, just in a sexier way.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Earthbound was the opposite of innovative. It was literally textbook dragon quest. Its one of my favorite games of all time but no.

atari jaguar
    hey shut up

I think the zelda cd-i games were fun and innovative

I really can't say anything since I wasn't born in the "Era of Innovation" or your guys decade(assuming that I'm not offending anyone here, and am just guessing about everybody's age). So, I think my opinion here doesn't matter or isn't relevant. So, Ciao!
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    You have to keep in mind that it's a lot harder to be innovative these days than it was back then. The oversaturation of media makes it difficult to do something that hasn't already been done. You can only do it from a different angle, most of the time. Or just plain do it better.