Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the innovation?

Where's the innovation?

Hey folks,
    When i was a kid i remember playing games such as Baldur's Gate and Fallout, games well known for being far ahead of their time, doing things no other game had done before. The thing is the creators of these games actually dared to be creative, to be innovative, wich is something i sadly cannot say for today's games wich mainly consists of First-Person-Shooting-Suicidal-And-Hyperactive-Sniper-Simulators (*cough* CALL OF DUTY *cough*). it's a goddamned shame publishers rather preffer to stick to the same cookiecutter formula of making a random game with extremely cliched elements in order to appeal to the masses, thus playing safe, not giving a shit of actually being innovative or creative just because they're scared of it being a total fuck-up. and it's just not new franchises. the only innovation i see in games these days are indie games.

I don't want to be force fed a unoriginal piece of copypasta that's supposedly "the standard" of every videogame these days.

Don't buy them

Yeah just play old games. I just play N64, SNES, and PS2 all day shyeeeeet.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Baron View Post
    Hey folks,
    When i was a kid i remember playing games such as Baldur's Gate and Fallout, games well known for being far ahead of their time, doing things no other game had done before. The thing is the creators of these games actually dared to be creative, to be innovative, wich is something i sadly cannot say for today's games wich mainly consists of First-Person-Shooting-Suicidal-And-Hyperactive-Sniper-Simulators (*cough* CALL OF DUTY *cough*). it's a goddamned shame publishers rather preffer to stick to the same cookiecutter formula of making a random game with extremely cliched elements in order to appeal to the masses, thus playing safe, not giving a shit of actually being innovative or creative just because they're scared of it being a total fuck-up. and it's just not new franchises. the only innovation i see in games these days are indie games.

I don't want to be force fed a unoriginal piece of copypasta that's supposedly "the standard" of every videogame these days.
    A game did this in 2011, it was called Bulletstorm, it was an FPS that gave a shit about what people thought of it, and it was sexy as hell. Though it was highly shunned by the public for having the balls to be something different in a solidified genre.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Where the innovation you ask? It simply got shoved up a Claptrap's ass like an electrode, causing it to be burnt, electrocuted, melted by corrosion, and then finally taken off to a scrap pile to be eaten by Skag's(AKA Shitty Game Developers) and then regurgitated without the orginal content of the innovation....An a hat's tip to the creator's of Bulletstorm to help me handle my own strange and deranged ability to get nearly a hundred skillshot's on screen at any given time.
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

Wait, Bulletstorm was innovative? I thing I didn't play'd that part.

Hahaha, yeah. That's what I was thinkin'.

The core gimmick (skillshots) was it's innovative point that seperated it from the other 5 gazillion first-person shooters. Not many FPS' give you the choice to actually think about how you kill, it's usually point and shoot. Whilst in BStorm, you can point and shoot, but that's not how it was meant to be played. It was meant to point, whip, kick, shoot a flare up a dude's ass, whip him back down, kick him into a cactus near a group of other fiends, and watch your screen explode into a flurry of points and shit.

If that's not innovative (in it's genre), what is?
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

A game with less repetition? Or a game with badass story? Sure, the witty banter is fun to listen to, but what's so great about the story?

The story I can't really say much for if we're still talking about Bstorm here. It was meh and bleh, full of 'badass guy' cliches. But it worked for the game. You got a lot of games out here that have this arcade gameplay, but this story that tries to be super serious, and it just doesn't really work together. You just get a bad movie that you can play.
    <My comic