Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Art: Quality vs. Content

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    The thing is that FPS's, RPG's, "games", "anime", "manga" are not to be used as blanket terms. That's the biggest thing that irks me. The only thing that makes anime anime is art style and, possibly, locale. If it was drawn by different people, in a different place, it wouldn't be anime. Some people don't like the art style itself, which is a different issue altogether, but people make the mistake of defining the entirety of non-western animation by its appearance. That's like saying all cartoons are the same, hence if you dislike one cartoon, everything that looks similar to it must be equally bad.

Also, you HAVE to watch School Days to the end, dude. You just have to. Trust me. You have to.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    I just realized that I completely forgot to give my own opinion on how I judge art.

I think that I do judge art, as well as music and literature, by its content to some degree. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for mythical monsters, or waterfalls, aliens, nude figures or what have you.

For example, I'm am generally not a fan of shoujo romance stories, but if you give me something creative and well done, I will probably read the shit out of that story.

I also dislike certain art styles, but I am still (occasionally) able to appreciate the technique and skills required to draw them. However, as Rio mentioned, your average Joe is most likely not going to worry about what kind of skill or thought process something took to draw, or how it's presented, over what it actually is.

I am also sure that a number of more artistically inclined people who still shun manga or cartoons in general are just plain ignorant about them. If visual art was music, I would say that cartoons, comics and the like are "mainstream" and art critics are the hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    The only thing that makes anime anime is art style and, possibly, locale. If it was drawn by different people, in a different place, it wouldn't be anime.
    Getting awfully close to the old "how to define manga" debate, aren't we?

Also, I'm not really sure what kind of requirements Cooper has for portfolios, but I would guess that like many other schools they want to see variety of work in order to evaluate your artistic ability, not scorn your focus or area of interest. When applying for animation, most schools would like to see figure and gesture drawing, not because that's the style they want you to follow, but they want to know if you understand basic realistic forms and movement.

Yeah pretty much. Just that the definition that most critics go by is flawed. They're clumping things together based on the factors that are the least relevant to their quality.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Such as?

art style, who made it, and where it was made.

Also, you HAVE to watch School Days to the end, dude. You just have to. Trust me. You have to.
    Apparently it subverts the typical high school romance genre with violence. I'll watch a little further into it, but darnit, I wish it would subvert faster.

It's not really like that. It's not just like romance with a twist of violence it's actually anti-harem. If you've ever seen a harem anime or played a dating sim and wondered what would happen if the girls weren't entirely oblivious, school days is your answer.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    wondered what would happen if the girls weren't entirely oblivious, school days is your answer.
    You sir have piqued my interest. +1

A good harem anime? Isn't that an oxymoron?

All the same, I'll give it a watch.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I think another issue is that people don't really know what they're talking about in general. And not just with manga per se, but western comics as well. Some people are just going to (have) end(ed) up seeing One Piece on some Saturday morning after Kirby and before Ultimate Muscle! and write it off as just another dumb children's show. Now I know a lot of people who like comics in general who have written off One Piece just because it's "too nutty" but anybody who really gets into it knows it's great. Anyway. People just have general bias about comics. They think they're trashy. Hell, the dude who did Calvin and Hobbes said that, “You can make your superhero a psychopath, you can draw gut-splattering violence, and you can call it a ‘graphic novel,’ but comic books are still incredibly stupid.” People are far too quick to just go and write comics off. People either think that they aren't artistic enough or aren't works of literature. Usually both. Which is, of course, ridiculous. You have some comic, like One Piece which are just flat out good example of storytelling. On the other hand you have comics that are not just well done but significant pieces in that they address global issues, examples being Barefoot Gen, Maus, and Persepolis.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.