Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Art: Quality vs. Content

Two years ago, my creative writing class voted for me to draw the cover for our writing magazine. Of course, me being sixteen, I drew manga--a barbarian with two children on his shoulders, symbolizing the divide of innocence and brutality in our stories, but also the protectiveness displayed in some.

That summer, a little boy called me and told me that a girl named Rachel (coincidentally, there was a Rachel in creative writing) had called him and told him to tell me this: "Manga sucks." He seemed reluctant about it and didn't really seem sure of what he was doing.

At the time, I all I could do was tell the kid not to worry about it and go on with my life, but it's really sad now that I think of it. A) That stupid girl got a little kid involved in a petty prank call and B) She had absolutely no reason to do anything of the sort in the first place. Even two years ago, a time I'd like to forget, I was one of the quieter students, but I was always polite and I always smiled around my classmates. I was humble about my art and didn't draw much during class. Come to think of it, I was a pretty good kid as a sophomore. The girl, Rachel, was a senior--18 at the time, the same age I am now.

The question I have is this: what is it about manga that made me the target of a childish prank?

Amusement obviously. Better question is why would you care?

Heh. You should've made him call that girl back and say something on the order of "Jane Austen is a -slattern.-"
    Bonus points if the kid wasn't the type to know what a slattern is.

Edit: Ooh, ooh. How about, "Thanks. You have Stevie Wonder's eye for art?"
    Last edited by Hamachi; 03-26-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Outcast, c'mon now. So you can excuse that girl's sophomoric prank as "amusement" but you're going to criticize Matt for being reasonably upset about something? I feel like there's something inherently wrong with that train of thought.

I think this has a lot to do with why manga isn't respected as an art form: too many people criticizing it for its content, and not its quality.
    I think manga is being looked down upon by many different groups for many different reasons. The non-artist population (haha, I cant' believe I just wrote that. Muggles anyone?), anyway, the non artist-population most likely doesn't recognize that the effort behind the manga-style is the same as for any art. Let's face it, most people thinks it's easier to draw any character in manga style then it is to make a still-life study. Considering all the one, two, three-step-by-step tutorials on the web it's not hard to see where this attitude may have originated.

The second main group, and the most annoying one, is the hobby-artists who tries to boost their own ego by disregarding any other forms of art than the ones they perform. Eliteists are always a pain... Ok, I'm done now, or else it will just turn into a rant. Interesting topic

I'm pretty sure it doesn't help that a fair chunk of artists start with manga with no idea of how art works, and people who are around them at that time form an opinion based on that.

Also:
    Why do you still care?
    It was relevant to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Outcast, c'mon now. So you can excuse that girl's sophomoric prank as "amusement" but you're going to criticize Matt for being reasonably upset about something? I feel like there's something inherently wrong with that train of thought.
    It was a stupid ass prank call what exactly is there to be upset about? It certainly sounds like a one time thing and she didn't do anything to hurt him.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Cype, I'm pretty sure a majority of high art buffs lack respect for anything cartoon related, regardless of content. (At least, that's what I've seen in my experience.)

In addition, I think many people are not really being exposed to quality work and therefore tend to think that all manga is ridiculous as a result. Not to mention that it's pretty much a 'thing' these days to hate manga and anime. "Manga? Isn't that those dumb Asian cartoons with the stupid eyes?" I can not count the times I've seen and heard this kind of response from people who've never even seen an anime or manga before.

Who the fuck cares? If it's cool to you, that's all that matters. Some dude told me off for liking Zelda today, but I really didn't give a damn. I just ignored him. Animus and mangos have their own unique foothold, for better AND for worse. Nothing wrong with some jackass who goes to snobby parties and drives a yacht and walks all upright like an uppity fuckhead not liking a genre of storytelling with extremely high levels of potential. If he wants to miss out on Cromartie or Hokuto no Ken, that's his problem.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    It's not that I care whether or not someone likes manga or anime, and I don't think anyone here is trying to say that everyone SHOULD like manga. In Cype's OP he was discussing why people seem to judge art for its content vs quality, and whether other people agree. That's really what I was trying to respond to, as I'm sure most people were, though I did get a little sidetracked.