Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: About sword fighting..

Something that happens to me a lot in mangas, is that fighting is not dreadful enough. You know the main character is weaker than his badass nemesis, still the main character beliefs he is not going to win, that the righteous actions are enough to make him a brave warrior, but at the end, you, as a reader, lose the feeling of dread in the fight, the fact that someone is going to die, and we have been spoiled with too many victories from part of the protagonist that we believe without a doubt of question he is going to win. And this is one of the problems I have with most fights in the "genre" of shönen and something in others. In Vagabond you feel that Takezo can lose, he fell in fear some times, and that is okay, that's what you would expect for someone who is placing his life on the edge, but still, I keep having this feeling that fights, or better say the real danger in the stories is not as dreadful as we would feel in our lifes.

When you engage in a fight using any sort of lethal weapons, the winner is often hurt worse than the loser. Study PTSD. Learn what happens to people who "win" a fight by killing the other guy.

Of course, real-life legal issues may or may not exist in your stories, and depending on your target audience, you can potentially avoid having to get all dark with PTSD and such. In shonen and shojo, you can go the Rurouni Kenshin route, but if you're going into seinen, you may want to take a slightly more serious approach (a la Wolfsmund).

I have yet to read Vagabond. I need to remedy that.

EDIT: I should probably attach a major content warning to Wolfsmund. It's fairly disturbing.
    Last edited by Matt; 04-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Vagabond resolve this in a cool way, the character is completely unconscious of what he is doing, and ones he become more conscious about it, he just get more resolved to his goal.

In Rurouni Kenshin, they made this deal, not about "afraid of fighting" but rather "afraid of becoming a badass murder". So yeah, the focus is no in the dread of the fight, but rather of the inner dread of what you can become, which is cool, but its mean this first step, the dread of fighting was already crossed. So again, fighting is still not as dreadful as it should be.

u answer alot of these threds, don't you,sylux.