Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What anime or manga is popular right now?

What anime or manga is popular right now?

As someone who has been distant from anime and manga i am curious what is actually popular right now.
    I just watched the first ep. of Black Blood Brothers on Netflix a few days ago and was enjoying that some.
    Not sure what's happening as far as manga goes so i'm interested in that too..
    Back when I was reading manga I was really starting to enjoy Nana.
    As far as anime goes i was into .hack//sign and Serial Experiment Lain.
    Let me know what's new and what's going on.
    I went to Anime Expo 2011 and had a lot of fun, but a lot had changed! it certainly became more youth based since I last went.
    So they got rid of a lot of the adult things to look forward to at AX which kind of bothered me. Mostly, you can also tell the economy took a toll on the convention.
    Anyway, that's all the details i have to add, let me know what's going on in the anime world nowadays!
    Last edited by Torn; 03-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    ~~ unapologetic queer, feminist and activist. Lazy artist, vlogger, student

Nothing has changed. Naruto's still being popular. Unless of course you are from before that generation, which I should say, a lot has changed, now Naruto is popular.

Still? You've got me joking. I guess i'm not surprised but this is kind of awkward for me. I never really got into Naruto I just recall alot of the Naruto fans at my highschool sporting the ninja headband. The last anime I watched with tons of fannage was Full Metal Alchemist.

Lain is awesome. Watch Gurren Lagann and Naoki Urasawa's Monster on Netflix. And Shigurui: Death Frenzy if you have the time. And iirc Soul Eater is on Netflix and is pretty good.

Okay cool thanks

Yeah Naruto is still popular, the king of popularity. The same goes fro Bleach and all those series.

Yeah Sylux recommendations are great, but not popular.
    Read anything from Urasawa actually, he is fucking awesome.

I wanted to know what's popular but I am also interested to know what's good or new and good. I'll go and check those out.

Samurai Champloo is popular if you haven't already seen it

Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    I wanted to know what's popular but I am also interested to know what's good or new and good. I'll go and check those out.
    As new, well, everything that Sylux said is already old lol. But new comics, mangas and anime that are good... I would say: I'm a Hero and Billy Bat (from Naoki Urasawa).

The deal is this, if you want popular things you are going to keep seeing the same things for over 10 years (for some reason are popular), if you want good (which is a very wide spectrum) you need to be more specific about what you want to find. Sylux gave you some good series to watch and read (I always tell that Monster should be read not watched, because the animation doesn't fit the art work), but yeah, better be specific about what you want to find, because Monster is good but old, I'm a Hero is kinda good, but its too new to know if its that good or not.

I'm just gonna throw it in here cause I've just watched it and it's awesome: Ergo Proxy. Beautiful art, post-apocalypse and with an insanely good ending (yes, it's one of the few animes that actually do have an ending, and only 23 episodes. That's at least two more points in favor of the series, yay...)

Also, One Piece popularity is down, seems pirates didn't manage the generation shift as well as the ninjas did