Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique on Erikku's Drawing(s)

Critique on Erikku's Drawing(s)

Hey guys. I decided I would put my old ones I put for the drawing challenge before from 3 years ago. Well. My drawings don't look really good. I suck in body proportion. Anyways, I have a brother who loves drawing and he's good at it. I got me old ones here. Cody Travers from Final Fight.

To be honest, I really don't know where to post in talking about what I present instead of needing help. But pointing out can help me though. I don't mind if you give me help. I'm just showing my stuff I have. I tried to make Cody look Manga-ish but I failed I think.
    Last edited by Erikku; 04-21-2013 at 06:19 AM.

This thread needs to be moved

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Thread moved, I'll toss a few tips/crit your way when I get back from class.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

What do you guys? I know I suck in body proportion though. I would need feedback from you guys.

Don't try too hard to achieve a specific style, at least not at first. Also, if you're not happy with the way you draw body proportions, do some studies. You won't elevate yourself to professional level in just one session, but you'll most likely see some improvement with every additional study.

Could you possibly post a higher resolution picture? It's hard to see as it is.

It's been a long time I've not come to this site. Well, these are just my drawings and I like drawing original characters. I've not been drawing in a long time. Once in a while I do draw. I plan on using my original characters for creating Manga and video games. There are 3 characters I plan that I would like to have 'em for RPG and the 2 for Fighting (which I'm more into). I know the way I'm doing on the body proportion is not looking right, but I want to know your thoughts and let me know what I need to improve. I like my drawings but I would like to improve my skill.

Captain Waylon

Zafira

Adrian

Elfonzio

Unnamed girl (but for now Malia, name will be changed later)

There's just some I don't like the way they look. Adrian/Adrianne, I didn't prepare myself to make a concept for her outfit. The blonde girl (named Malia or will change to a different name), her body looks bulky to me which I didn't expect her to look like too.

Hey there. I'd have posted something sooner, but my Internet's on and off.

You already mentioned you knew you needed to work on proportions. I think another thing that might help you is working on height, too. I always have a bit of trouble with this myself. Here's an idea of how to measure out body height and width. Some of these pictures are kinda creepy looking, but I think it's a good way to demonstrate the distance between certain body parts:

Here's another one, just male:

I know this isn't much help, but I hope it's a start.

I like how each character has their own personality! I also like that you are trying different stances. Just be careful to get the proportions down first. Nice characters you got here!
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Thanks for the comment and feedback, Blue Dragon. Also, thanks for pointing out in the right direction.

@Matt: Sorry I missed replying your comment. I think I have the original size of the pics but they're too big.. I will post it up here later.

Hi So I really like everything you're trying out with the varied clothing designs; I like all of the creativity and the thought that went into them. The first thing anyone is going to tell you is to work on proportions, which you already know and which dragon helpfully posted a picture on. I highly highly recommend doing some figure drawing and/or anatomy studies. Deviantart has an entire section of stock photos which you can use to help practice both different poses and anatomy. There are also sites for figure drawing which are awesome and usually a lot of fun. Figure drawing can be a bit intimidating at first, especially with some of the shorter 30 second poses, but it's worth it. I'm going to link several tutorials that you can check out (although MT has a tutorial section as well ;P ) but really... it's going to just be a matter of practicing over and over and over again. Anatomy is something that everyone practices and continues to practice for... forever? So, firstly keep up the good work. Secondly don't get discouraged, and finally I'm looking forward to seeing how you improve.

Tutorials I like:

SPOILER! :
    I like this one because if you look closely at the writing, they point out some useful info on the difference between the male and female body which I think is important info. It also shows how the body can be broken down into simpler shapes. It is extremely helpful to get the naked body down on the page before putting clothes on them. Helps the clothing look like it fits them.

I like this because it shows the variation that is found in the female body. There is obviously variation in male body types as well, but this is cool to know and utilize. You can use it to add more character to your characters(?).

This and this one are just two of my favorite tutorials of all time. I highly recommend checking them out.

Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corastaur View Post
    Hi So I really like everything you're trying out with the varied clothing designs; I like all of the creativity and the thought that went into them. The first thing anyone is going to tell you is to work on proportions, which you already know and which dragon helpfully posted a picture on. I highly highly recommend doing some figure drawing and/or anatomy studies. Deviantart has an entire section of stock photos which you can use to help practice both different poses and anatomy. There are also sites for figure drawing which are awesome and usually a lot of fun. Figure drawing can be a bit intimidating at first, especially with some of the shorter 30 second poses, but it's worth it. I'm going to link several tutorials that you can check out (although MT has a tutorial section as well ;P ) but really... it's going to just be a matter of practicing over and over and over again. Anatomy is something that everyone practices and continues to practice for... forever? So, firstly keep up the good work. Secondly don't get discouraged, and finally I'm looking forward to seeing how you improve.

Tutorials I like:

SPOILER! :
    I like this one because if you look closely at the writing, they point out some useful info on the difference between the male and female body which I think is important info. It also shows how the body can be broken down into simpler shapes. It is extremely helpful to get the naked body down on the page before putting clothes on them. Helps the clothing look like it fits them.

I like this because it shows the variation that is found in the female body. There is obviously variation in male body types as well, but this is cool to know and utilize. You can use it to add more character to your characters(?).

This and this one are just two of my favorite tutorials of all time. I highly recommend checking them out.

Have fun!!!
    Thanks for the links.