Thread: I can't draw same character twice!!?! + other problem

I can't draw same character twice!!?! + other problem

First of all, I'm not good at drawing. No matter how much I practice or use tutorials, guides or such.

However, every now and then, I manage to draw something ok. For me, those drawings are useless unless I can draw the character again. That's the problem. When I try to draw them again, they look different. Art style is different. I have the original next to me but it doesn't help.

Other problem is that I can't draw characters from perspective. I can only draw straight front pictures. I fail at expressions too, especially from perspective.

Here is unfinished character. It will stay unfinished because it doesn't look like the original.

and here would be the original if I just could find it.......

copy paste.

You will learn, trust me.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    use guidelines. Like so:

At your level you can copy character twice. Atleast you can make the eyes and hairs similar and rest you can adjust (common sense).
    For perspective type you can copy some dynamic pose in manga pages , fanarts . Really helps trust me.
    Hey post some pics in critiq corner for feedbacks.
    Last edited by trilokcool3; 03-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.

I think we've all been there, at least I know that I have. The problem really is this: everything in this world has something that sets them apart visually from something else, in some way. To handle all this information our brains make initial sorting for us, for example if we look at an apple; our eyes sees THE apple, but then our brain says "we see AN apple, this is what it means; food, decoration... and so on"
    Being a visual artist means that we train our own perception to see past this initial categorization, the best way to do this is to draw things from real life. Make a study every day of something ordinary; it's really boring compared to drawing something from imagination, but it'll pay off immensely

I don't think you are understanding the drawing itself. You understand what you want on the drawing but you do not understand how your character is formed. It is kinda like drawing fan art from something similar and it always changes and looks different.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ruas View Post
    First of all, I'm not good at drawing. No matter how much I practice or use tutorials, guides or such.

However, every now and then, I manage to draw something ok. For me, those drawings are useless unless I can draw the character again. That's the problem. When I try to draw them again, they look different. Art style is different. I have the original next to me but it doesn't help.

Other problem is that I can't draw characters from perspective. I can only draw straight front pictures. I fail at expressions too, especially from perspective.
    All of this is just a matter of practice. Repetitive drawing and using guidelines helps you achieve your goal faster. Why not try this:

1. Draw multiple oval or circles all in a row. Try to get them to be the same shape as much as possible.
    2. From there, try adding eyes to each of them. Again, try drawing them the same as the original.
    3. Move on to the next feature and repeat until you're done.

The first time you draw, you pretty much have free reign to draw as you like but any successive drawing, you have to look back to the original for reference. You will have to make calculated strokes and compare things like "is this the right spot where I drew the eyes?" and so on. To help with consistency, most artists use things as character sheets and guidelines. Don't be afraid to use them for yourself as well.

101 Dalmations Member
    to Miss Rio . .I second the motion. .= )