Thread: Shui's art

7 8 9 Member

Shui's art

Hey guys i recently did a fan art for someone but i really want some critiques so i csan make it better. my style isn't trad manga but yeah... any tips for hair and stuff?

and i used to be on this site years ago hahaha

P.S anyone know how to fix the colours? i did it on a slightly contrast monitor and the coulor turned out super dull...

this place is so different then i remmeber

Short arms and small hands. Also work with pose.

Welcome back! This site had a substantial update little over a year ago

So Clockhand beat me too it, and though he my be blunt he is right. This one has got a very loose robe, so it is kinda easy to mess up with proportions and so on if you don't draw the actually body before you paint the clothes. Did you do this? If you did, I'd be happy to make a quick sketch over to point out where it probably went wrong, if you didn't do it; do it, and you'll probably solve it yourself.

To second clockhand again, when you do fanart you have the chance to really create a pose of your own, I mean the character design is there already, so you should have a lot of creative spirit left for the pose and action in the drawing.

Also, I'd like to know who this character is, makes it easier to appretiate See, it looks like it's from naruto, and personally I've never liked naruto and so I have no idea who it is. Yeah I know, shame on me...

7 8 9 Member
    @Clockhand, yes i noticed the small hands! haha the arms i see now could use some work ( i have trouble with foreshortening etc.)

@rubisko! yes please do line over i love when people do that.. and its deidara! i don't even watch naruto much which is probably why my pose lacks creativity. Im horrible at anatomy since i mostly studied portraits and realism of peoples heads! hahaha Id like to expand and be a very versatile drawer!

It looks pretty stylish considering you colored it well enough

7 8 9 Member
    ah thanks! i think thats my strong point! i love doing that sorts of stuff

Hi, I had half forgotten that I'd promised you a redline, but here it comes:

SPOILER! :

Alright, so the first one is what I think may be the main problem: the shoulders are uneven and placed strangely. As a consequence the rest of the torso is lost in R'lyeh too; the second sketch is how i percieve the body under the robe. I hope it helps you somewhat, and I just want you to know that now I'm drawing this deidara too, how infectious...

I'm sorry, I cant help but think that we are missing the point on this one....
    SPOILER! :

A draping outfit like this can cover a multitude of anatomy errors. But you have to remember that clothes take the form of the body, so you either need to start drawing the body BEFORE you do the clothes or you need to have some basic knowledge of whats going on under there. After you've drawn a body it becomes much easier to draw the clothes.( sorry, I didn't know if you were drawing a boy or a girl...or a girly boy so the body is a bit androgynistic) As far as the coloring goes...im the wrong guy to ask :< . Awesome pic though.
    Last edited by NWAP; 03-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.