Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: MMO's. Your own decrepid and degenerate opinions on what you think of these

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Guys, play Shattered Galaxy.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Nah, Play M.A.G. you'll have a better time...oh wait M.A.G sucks. Anyways, I'd rather play Tabula Rasa but the servers for that are shut down, same with the boring Hellgate: London.
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Guys, play Shattered Galaxy.
    Isn't that the game that was basically nerfed by hundreds of Koreans using a hack which stopped western players from joining?... Looks kinda interesting, anyway. A bit like early Fallout or Starcraft.

Back on the Korean thing; I love the buggers, I really do. So don't get me wrong. Oldboy and The Host are still some of my favorate movies... But they seem to have a really bizzare-ass, childish psycholigy when it comes to online games. Not only is a Korean the only known person who has ever exausted themselves to death playing a video game (52 hours of starcraft in an internet cafe), but there are all sorts of weird assault, divorce and blackmail cases to do with virtual items and characters. Even the official international starcraft tournaments were a little fouled up by fanclub members acting like dicks because of shy American unknowns actually turning up and winning.

Not bashing them as a country, like I said... It's just quite, quite bizzare behaviour. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    52 hours of starcraft in an internet cafe
    I thought he was playing league of legends which would make more sense since that game makes me want to fucking kill myself

League of Legends? Oh, my f***ing god....Please don't ever mention that again. My brain hurts just thinking about it. And I really don't like Korean players (especially when playing against them), but they are still pretty cool. Well, some of them. And for those that DO play WoW, I suggest looking up The Instance on iTunes.
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

After doing a little bit more whimsical research on the subject, I've come to a conclusion; People are fucking silly.

You can find a whole bunch of video game-related murder cases just by googling it. And I'm talking, blantantly, "I shot dad because he wouldn't let me play Halo." kinda cases.

15% of people divorced (at least according to "DivorceOnline") are due to gaming addiction, and even then it's because of shite-o-tron games like WoW and Call of Duty.

In Korea there is even a "teen game addiction boot camp". It has something to do with rolling around in the snow wearing combat fatigues. No, really.

All of it makes me wonder if people with addictive personalities in general are vunerable to this kind of stuff. Or at least the kind of people who don't have any real personal drive or calling.

Anybody actually know somebody 'addicted' like this? Could be cool to have some insight.

...And for the record, no, I don't belive for a second that Doom caused the Columbine school shooting thing. That was clearly judgemental newspaper bullshit.

Extra Credits did a very personal episode about gaming compulsion. The writer goes on camera to talk about his past in everquest.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I'll admit, I've got a pretty bad addiction to games, but not in the competitive, play all day kinda way. I mean I'm addicted to just... having games :I
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Put some time aside to watch that vid, despite the fact I completely avoid the parent site Penny Arcade as of the norm.

Thoughts were had.

Well, for one, it makes me think of an entire year I lost during high school. A story I frequently brag about, make jokes of, even. There was an internet cafe around the corner, and possibly the only cohesive group of friends I've ever had used to skive there. Counterstrike, Starcraft, that sorta thing t’was... Yeah, shallow, grindy games that perfectly fit the "shite-o-tron" mould that I previously mentioned.

How can I put this without sounding full of shit? I think my pride over the memory might be to cover up how damn underhanded, low and squalid the whole business actually all was. It can't really be said that life has been much better or worse since, but to be accepted for something that the rest of society generally rejects you for... Yeah, I think I do understand the submerssive factor of it, now. Hell knows what my life could have turned out like if I hadn't moved away at the end of that year. I would have been kept back a grade at least, that's for certain. The funny thing is that I didn't at the time, nor any day until now, really think about those days as if they were a serious problem, or, indeed an "addiction" as people label it.

It didn't really need proof, but guess this means Reg is fucking silly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzet
    I'll admit, I've got a pretty bad addiction to games, but not in the competitive, play all day kinda way. I mean I'm addicted to just... having games :I
    Do you mean simply hoarding vast amounts of them, or is it hyped-up games that mosty catch your eye? Both can imply some pretty different things.
    Last edited by Regantor; 03-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Counterstrike, Starcraft, that sorta thing t’was... Yeah, shallow, grindy games that perfectly fit the "shite-o-tron" mould that I previously mentioned.
    ??

Are you being sarcastic here? How are either of these games shallow and grindy?