Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blame! Success of Fail?

Blame! Success of Fail?

If you haven't read Blame! please do it before reading or posting in this thread, so you can have good arguments and don't be spoiled.

2 days ago -I believe-, James and I had a discussion about Blame!; about if it was just bad or a failure as a story; or good, a success as a comic. The discussion was interesting, but this thread is not about the arguments we shared to each others in that moments (I think we both can write our arguments in here again by ourselves), but rather about what do you think. The deal is that, I think that with the discussion we did a nice "deconstruction" of the manga, from its weak points and strong points, something to learn; so thought -why not making a thread about deconstructing comics?-, that's why I'm making this thread, which I want you to enjoy and join, so we can see arguments and look with a different glance the subject comic.

So what do you think about Blame!? What do you think are the strongest points? What do you think are the weakest points? Do you think it overall success or failed in his narratives attempts? And if you don't feel too edgy to make a big proposition, just tell what did you liked, each well pointed opinion is helpful in this task.

Hope you guys enjoy. We see in 3 weeks (I guess).

For the record I didn't like it and clock did. I can explain my stance if need be.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Blame is a roguelike in manga form.

That's a fair appraisal. Killy could be an ascii @ and would probably be more interesting than he was originally.

I really like Blame.

It's probably one of the more unique comics out there of any nationality, and through I can see why people could find it's extreme subtlety boring, I found the fact it doesn't openly rub plot points in your face to be quite engrossing. Was it made up as Nihei went along? Quite possibly. But again, I thought that made things feel at little more atmospheric; Or maybe faux-realistic is a better way to describe it? The entire thing reads like a storyboard, and just like western movies, the terrain is very much a character of it's own.

Killy himself was about as realistic and stoic as you'd expect a multiple-thousand year old creature to be. I don't think that's a fault, but I'd be willing to hear your ideas on it anyway, Jubehjuice. I'm certainly confused how on the one hand you can like the sombre-thon Twin Peaks, and on the other dislike Blame...
    Last edited by Regantor; 02-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Twin peaks had one thing that blame lacks which is characters. All the nuance and atmosphere in the world doesn't make up for the most inconsistent and boring protagonist of all time. This would be find in an oshii style feature length film but for 10 fucking volumes I had to watch this idiot act like a butt for the sake of what clock calls the odyssey. The main character felt to me like the twilight couple in that his personality seemed to change conveniently whenever the writer needed to get some sort of point across.

Blame would have been amazing as a video game or even a film but as a comic it seems like a strange misunderstanding of the medium.

Dhomo Chevski and Mauve I thought were pretty decent characters. Hell, those little cherub dudes from Toha heavy industries. Killy himself was certainly rediculously stoic, but it was intentional; Nihei openly makes fun of this in the self piss-take 'Blame Academy', so I don't really know what you mean by inconsistent. There was the cliche amnesia thing, but he wasn't the chosen one and he didn't have any kind of last-minute revelations or anything.

Was it a masterpeice of characterisation? Nope. Those few characters who survive past two books have already done their emmotional development. But that pretty clearly wasn't what N-boy was trying to do. So I'd still call it a success.

Knights of Sidonia, now that's been a massive letdown at every chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Killy himself was certainly rediculously stoic, but it was intentional; Nihei openly makes fun of this in the self piss-take 'Blame Academy', so I don't really know what you mean by inconsistent. There was the cliche amnesia thing, but he wasn't the chosen one and he didn't have any kind of last-minute revelations or anything.
    I can't be arsed to bring up all the points where he was acting out of character but one sticks out in my mind. He burns this monster's(?) egg sac thing and just sort of laughs about it. Up to that point he hadn't so much as cracked a smile and I don't remember him doing that later either. It was completely random. There were a few more moments like this but its been a while since I've read it.

Was it a masterpeice of characterisation? Nope. Those few characters who survive past two books have already done their emmotional development. But that pretty clearly wasn't what N-boy was trying to do. So I'd still call it a success.
    Clock said this same thing and I ask why is there a protagonist at all if you aren't going to write him or her? And self awareness regarding a character's parodic personality doesn't excuse bad writing. See: every movie with a Yoda knockoff that acknowledges that the character is a yoda knockoff. I submit that if killy were a mute or if blame were a video game with him as a silent protagonist I would have enjoyed it considerably more.

He only really seems to have minute outbursts of character when killing silicon life creatures. I've always just assumed he was programmed to enjoy it, but gets spiteful later on due to the fact he's actually trying to protect people (and generally failing).

As for bad writing... Is it really outright bad writing? Cause I fail to see that. Even if he isn't perticularly memorable or anything, so many things are left open-ended that being in or out of character or sort of moot. Every single cast member is very unique and uncliche, and in my book, those are the massive positives that even out the characterisations to a mere 'average' level. There was certainly no deus ex machina or crap like that, no forced romances, no ancient prophecies.

I know that you are all about originality and pointing out cliches and whatnot but I really don't care about originality at all. I'm obviously looking for a lot of different things than you are.

Maybe it's not bad writing but it's not good writing and it wasn't fun for me to read.