Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video Games; a Insult?

@Sylux: I tend to look at game design as desiging an experience. So even if a game doesn't exactly replicate the real life actions it is emulating I would still call it accurate if it evokes some of the feelings of the real world experience. Game designers make up different game mechanics not only to make games fun but to try to capture the right feelings for the game. So while they may not allow players to play a totally realistic war game they are probably still trying to create a similar feeling experience to those described by soldiers. Unfortuneatly I'm not experienced enough with these sorts of games to really argue specifics, but I think its worth thinking of the distinction between designing an experience and designing an exact replica of warfare, and look at the games in that light.

Please don't let this discussion devolve into stating the obvious

Seriously games like Medal of Honor are the best portrayals of the brutality/futility of war. Only got half an hour into Hell's Highway because of the controls but the situation was the best war scenario I've had experience with gaming-wise. My best example of real-life shooting was playing Airsoft with my friends in the woods when some fucking psycho hunter starts shooting his real fucking rifle at us. And that was devastatingly scary atm. So no war is not like that.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    The only way a game would be able to pull off even partially what real war is, is to basically turn the tension, fear, and feeling of futility up to 11, and still demand that you find a way to survive the whole thing.

I was just saying that in reference to what Jubeh said about talking with soldiers.

This article is p cool. It's about a soldier that has a problem with the way soldiers are depicted in games. It's not what you think and totally worth reading.

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012...-place-in-war/

War games don't need to be more real or true to what is war. You don't need to make a war game that in the mechanic you incorporate fatigue and burder stats. What you need is to grown up those games.

As Gunz said, video games start by the principle or thesis of "Video games must be fun", the deal is that when you take the subject of War with such a childish thesis, you are obviously going to be insulting to the subject. War games do this, and even worst, they do it through realism, which is a even more sick of way to take this subject.

If you start by the thesis "video games should be fun", then War games should be the last thing you would want to do, because no sane person would consider war as something "fun".

And if you start by "video games should be provocative", like some movies do, then you might take the subject of War properly, but you have to acknowledge that you are again the idea of making the fun.

War games are insulting because are childish, naive and over patriotic, they fail because video games are (now and probably for a long time more), childish and to get fun.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    So you're saying war games should not be fun. Or fun games should not be about war.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I think he meant games about war should not be fun, and games that should be fun, should not be about war.
    But man, games about war are the least of our worries, really. Especially when you got games like GTA. Which were fun up to GTA4, mind you.

You wouldn't watch Full Metal Jacket or Johnny Got His Gun because they're fun, but because they're good.