Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video Games; a Insult?

Hybrid View

Video Games; a Insult?

I believe we all know how insulting is Call of Juarez: The Cartel, making fun of a real issue just for the sake of an awful and distorted joke that over come us, even the most deviated person feels some kind of provocation with this game. But, Is this the only one? Hasn't the industry already made fun of really big and serious issues?

I think we should look no further than First Person Shooters (FPS) or just Shooter games; games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare (COD), Medal of Honor (MOH) and Gears of War (GoW) are enough prove that video games are becoming more insulting to real issues, like: war, killing and mass-murdering.

In COD we are rewarded for killing other soldiers (enemies), without even doing a sightly analyze of the moral weight of our actions and theirs; not just that, but the whole idea of "I'm a kick-ass marine who kill terrorist" is more a empowering charade that hides a patriotic and laughable reasoning.

And what about GoW? A game that not just encourage killing, but also it's brutality, not just about their dead but also your's. A suicide game about muscle mens, killing with chain saws, frag grenades, hyper beams and other brutal weapons just to satisfied a "hardcore" feeling from childish players.

I'm not going to blame all this brutality to those games, but they are, indeed, the best examples on how brutality is before game play and not the opposite. I'm not saying we should stop any form of confrontation with this subjects, even if its mean for joking (some time jokes are great to over come some issues, and if it done with respect and elegance, why not?), but the way these games, and others, have threat war is just insulting. Not just war, death or torture, but also political issues, sexuality, social problems, and so on. I believe that with this strong push from the industry to make games more cinematic, narratives and "story crafted", they are also making games more insulting, brainwashed and biased.

The whole Deus Ex: Human Revolution, was just about empowering someone to kill hundred if not million of soldiers, so at the end they ask you if you forgive the life of some few shitty people in a building (and your life too).

Is not like Megaman was a insult to our intelligence (and humanity), because it didn't explore the morality of killing other robots, but Megaman has never tried to be a "war game". Is not like Donkey Kong Country didn't explore in a better way our own savage nature, as being a genocidal primate that kills all the "lizard race" just to have some bananas; it was that Donkey Kong Country didn't meant to be a genocidal game. But COD, MHO, DE: HR, GoW, GOW and many others, do try to be war, killing and genocidal games (God of War, lets just kill all Gods, just because I'm childish angry character).

What I'm trying to say in here, I see that, with the industry growing with a commercial focus and more story pretentious, it will make the video games what our parents feared a long time ago. It will give rights to think "video games can brain wash kids" (trust me, when I see COD, I do believe they can give a biased view about war) and it will play against us (the self called gamer audience) to play what we want.

We laugh at how awful is Twilight and how awful is the people who read/watch that, but then we go to pick our control or keyboard to be in a mass murder game for our own joy.

It might sound kinda of a rant, but I want to see what you guys think. Is industry killing itself before it can take the diapers out? or Is this going to become a new era in gaming, where pleasing the "hardcore feeling" is more important than the actual subject the game is trying to hang of? And finally I'm crazy? I'm wrong for giving so much weight to this issue?

PD: I tried to write the best I could )=
    Last edited by ClockHand; 02-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.

I think Rainbow Six: Patriots will address these moral issues. From what I hear, the main antagonist is a sympathetic guy, one the player and main character can really empathize with.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I believe games like the ones you mention are just made for people with certain tastes in entertainment. I don't think anyone at Epic thought about mixing in real world issues to make a game that lives off brutality, they just wanted to make an awesome game. As for games like CoD and MoH that thrive off of skewing real world problems and making you a super soldier, it's almost the same reason that war movies will continue to be made, and reason #1 is that it's a good way to make sure you cash in on money, especially if it's an FPS.

But not all are bad examples. I mean, I won't lie, I like me some MW2, reason being? I stopped looking at it as a hardcore FPS, a game with a good story, and the fact that you're a one man army breaking all the rules a long time ago. I see it more as an arcade game for a quick buzz of fun; start game, get gun, see bad guy, pull trigger. I did a lot of Virtua Cop 2 in the 90's, and these are just updated versions of rail shooters. But then you have games that are based on real world problems, mainly wars, and they show you what that can be like as good as they can, aka the Tom Clancy series, ArmA, America's Army, and some other simulators.

And this didn't start with games. It started with humanity's love for violence in general, and making money off tragedies. Books, movies, then came games. We'd be alright if it wasn't for stupid people that do stupid stuff to damage the reputation of a relatively harmless medium simply doing what everyone else already has.

That's just my outlook on it.
    (coming from a guy that loves chainsawing locust scum in half daily)

My favorite thing about video games is if you try to look at them critically gamers get up in arms and try to defend the game for no reason

Here's an article where Hulk talks about the evolution of modern warfare from something too to bat-shit insane.

Here is KillScreen, the smartest game magazine around that nobody reads.

I for one hope the industry crumbles to the point that I can put it in a paper bag and leave it burning on somebody's front porch.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I for one hope the industry crumbles to the point that I can put it in a paper bag and leave it burning on somebody's front porch.
    *talks to you on Steam*

u mad

I ain't even mad. I just can't help but see that as a bit of a contradiction. See, Steam is a gaming platform, Steam is in the gaming industry, Valve is part of the gaming industry, and made Steam. If the gaming industry crashes, everyone suffers, even the ones that are doing the best they can to do good. So I dunno man, to see you using a part of the gaming industry, and then wanting it to crash and burn, I DUNNO MAAAN.

I wouldn't mind seeing the companies that don't give a shit about the people that buy their games crash, cause they deserve to (sorta like Bethesda counting on its dedicated fanbase to fix their post-release problems on just about every game, or the makers of CoD charging the price of a brand new game for a tiny map pack, and BS DLC in general). But the industry as a whole? No.
    Last edited by GunZet; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    This reminds me of Stephen King's essay on why people like horror movies.

The fact of the matter is that many of us acknowledge that games are just games, not political statements. Well adjusted human beings will not take CoD as a statement that it's okay to kill people without remorse. Just as people who watch horror movies enjoy them because they are acknowledging that the material is fiction, not because they seriously would enjoy watching people torn limb from limb.

Now as far as the "hardcore" feeling goes, yeah, it's dumb. Games try to be hardcore to the point that it's even tacky and juvenile at points.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I ain't even mad. I just can't help but see that as a bit of a contradiction. See, Steam is a gaming platform, Steam is in the gaming industry, Valve is part of the gaming industry, and made Steam. If the gaming industry crashes, everyone suffers, even the ones that are doing the best they can to do good. So I dunno man, to see you using a part of the gaming industry, and then wanting it to crash and burn, I DUNNO MAAAN.
    Im gonna address this as if what I said wasn't a hyperbole and I seriously meant it.

Yeah I use steam but if it were gone, I'd use something else. If my toilet exploded, I'd dump in the trash can or something. If the entire toilet industry collapsed we all would. So what Im saying is one way or another we find a place for our shit to go.

I guess, man. Maybe I'm in the minority when I say the gaming industry isn't shit, rather it's the bigger companies that make the shit and fill the toilets up. It just seems to be a lot of haters that just follow around and hate the industry just because there are a lot of crackhead money hogs in the game, and if you don't hate it, you're an ignorant gamer or something. I wish Tripwire was bigger, cause they know what they're doing.