Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye

Goodbye

Hello. Contrary to the thread title this is actually an introduction thread. The goodbye is in reference to my social life since I found this site two days ago. That and I noticed a recurring theme in this section and couldn't bring myself to name this thread something so predictable.

Anyway, I guess I should actually introduce myself. My name is Tom, I'm 22 and from the rainy land of England (ironically we're having a heatwave at the moment); I enjoy gaming, music, reading, and now thanks to this lovely website... Drawing! As you may have already noticed I have a terrible sense of humour and would like to take this chance to apologise in advance.

A little background on things leading up to here, it'll help explain to you how new I am to this sort of thing and hopefully will also explain the very strange predicament I've found myself in seeing as I'm the only person I know who has an interest in this area.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to join the RAF (Royal Air Force for those non-brits), so everything led up to that such as grades and fitness etc which meant that I was unfortunately all work but still managed to sneak in a bit of gaming every now and then. When I was 16 I ended up joining the Army instead through some programme I won't go into because it's horribly boring, it was basically a mix of playing soldier and academic work because I was going to be an Engineering Officer. Studied my degree, was absolutely terrible at technical drawing, laughed at my housemate because he was an art student and being a SEAS (School of Engineering & Applied Science) student myself, I was taught by my peers that art was a complete waste of space as a degree and basically easy mode.

At my final year of uni I was Medically Discharged due to asthma and so had to leave my degree unfinished. That was just over a year ago, and it was a pretty bad time if I'm honest. Now there's always a silver lining... I moved back home, got a job in retail and then stumbled upon an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. As far as I'm aware that's what sparked my interest in this area, but due to what I explained before I felt like it was sort of a taboo thing due to my friend group. So over the past year I watched things like FMA, FMA Brotherhood, Sword Art Online but not religiously.

Recently I began watching Shingeki No Kyojin / Attack on Titan (whichever) and it dawned on me that I'd never actually read any manga. So I started googling stuff and ended up on this site somehow, so I thought for a laugh I'd give it a try. All of a sudden I had so many ideas of things that I want to draw, things I want to create and now I actually have something I really wholeheartedly want to work on!

That pretty much brings me up to where I am now, 2 days and I'm already hooked. It'll be strange having people who actually like the same things as me, and I hope you guys will excuse my complete ignorance in all things Japanese.

Cheers!

P.S. Sorry for the long windedness of it!
    Last edited by Flash; 07-13-2013 at 05:51 PM.

I love your enthusiasm! Welcome to our little hole in the Internet. I'm sure someone else will give some sort of fancy introduction that involves where to post about stuff and other cool tips..but I'll just leave a big old WELCOME!
    Maybe stuffs to be made for deviants soon
    http://trnal.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by nextweek View Post
    I love your enthusiasm! Welcome to our little hole in the Internet. I'm sure someone else will give some sort of fancy introduction that involves where to post about stuff and other cool tips..but I'll just leave a big old WELCOME!
    Thanks. It's quite refreshing

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Hey, I hope you enjoy your time here. As with all the newbies, I'm looking forward to seeing some art. Normally I would recommend checking out the Groupboard, but apparently it's dead right now. Of course, it's always worth it to check out the artist alley and critique corners.

Oh, and Rio recommends the Drawing, Tutorials & Animation section.
    Last edited by indescribable; 07-13-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indescribable View Post
    Hey, I hope you enjoy your time here. As with all the newbies, I'm looking forward to seeing some art. Normally I would recommend checking out the Groupboard, but apparently it's dead right now. Of course, it's always worth it to check out the artist alley and critique corners.
    Thanks. I've been looking around, but I still can't post anywhere other than here so until I'm confirmed as not being the SKYNET or spambots I'll have to lurk xD

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    The groupboard is dead because I never figured out how to use it, and I'm sure many on here have the same problem.

That aside...

WEEEEEElllcome!!! So you're from the UK? I'm from the heart of the US (midwest) but I know there's another Englander on here, plus a Scotsman. Have fun ya'lll. Heh heh heh.

Hope this site helps in your new drawing adventures. Get a sketchbook, fill it up, post the interesting stuff on here. <<
    Jump right in.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    I don't even.... Thanks? Heh.

Wow, quite the introduction!!! I'm glad you decided to join us If you decide to try digital art, you should go to the Oekaki Rooms! I can't wait to see your art! Have fun!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Wow, quite the introduction!!! I'm glad you decided to join us If you decide to try digital art, you should go to the Oekaki Rooms! I can't wait to see your art! Have fun!!!
    Thanks. Not too sure what Oekaki involves... But I'll look into it.