Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any rules regarding Japanese names and surnames?

Name it Asura instead

No name it Azula

I think the name hase to describe on thing about your person. For example Ihave a character named Jichou Murasaki. Jicho meaning Raven and Murasaki meaning purple. Jichou's hair is purple and likes ravens hoped i helped.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    How would his parents know before he was born that he would like ravens? And many (most?) babies are bald when they are born.
    Honestly, OP, what's this for? Most likely as long as you use proper names - as in make sure you don't use a surname for a given name and suchlike - you should be fine. If you are setting a story in a fictional analogue to Japan or modern day Japan, people are not really going to nitpick, and besides, modern Japanese people, I'm sure, name their kids more or less the same way most people do - either in honor of someone, or by euphonics (what sounds nice). If you're doing something historical, well then I imagine you have a lot more research to do besides naming conventions, and in the ultimate scheme of things, I highly doubt that even in a historical piece anyone is going to get too anal about names.

Also: Don't pull a Daikatana. Do no name a black man - or anyone - Superfly Johnson.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Don't listen to Kodos it's okay to call black people Superfly Johnson

If whatever you are working on is voiced please make sure the names are pronounced correctly. I was playing Mass Effect 2 and that keiji guy going kaSOOOOmi was killing me.

Kaaaasumi

Its just especially awful because the dude himself is japanese. Or at least space japanese.

Kasumi speaks with an English accent whaddya want

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    For girls, there's usually a -ko after the main part of the name because "ko" translate to child. "ka" is also used. Examples: Haruka (flower child), Umiko (ocean child), Akiko, Emiko, etc. Some guys may be named after being the first, second, third and so on born child of the family. Kenichi for example means "first son". There are also names that parents want their child to become or aspire to like Akira means "bright one".

Anyways, I would suggest you just do a search on japanese names or get your hands on a japanese dictionary to get some naming ideas. Wikipedia has a nice piece about Japanese names.