Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any rules regarding Japanese names and surnames?

Are there any rules regarding Japanese names and surnames?

Simple Question:

Are there any rules when assigning a character a first name and a last name? Do they need to fit together?

Example:

Say I have a character named Takahashi. Am I allowed to throw any old surname I can find off a Google search onto that name, such as Miyagi or Kanagawa, or do only certain surnames fit with certain first names?

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Is this for a manga you are making? If it is I'm going to have to move this to either the writers section or manga works. If this is a discussion type thread it can stay here but then the question needs to be changed to start the discussion I think (I could be wrong on that. For all I know this could be a hot button issue about the right and wrong ways of choosing a child's name or something.)

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Well if it's anything like honorifics, it depends on the child's gender, social standing, age, occupation, and pokemon type.

But yeah. What is this for?

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

It's not really for a Manga I'm making, more like something I was just wondering. Although I suppose it's knowledge I'll use for one eventually, you can go ahead and move it if you want.
    Last edited by mop; 02-23-2012 at 03:37 PM.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Some people avoid the General Discussion because the fighting so picking the right section is important because some people only stick to certain areas and they might be the best people to answer. Well since you said charecter I will assume this belongs to the writers area. If not sorry kodos.

For naming in Japanese, I guess it just depends on what you want to do with the names. I'm not an expert but I'd go with Kodos's explanation just to be safe. xD
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Psy u done fucked up, son. Moving this back to GD. :3

I want you to say 15 Hail Marys.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Where are all our Japanese members for this one? >_>

My personal UNPROFESSIONAL opinion. I think you'd probably want a name that goes well with the last name. :/ But if you look at say, Yoko Ono's name, the Kanji for "yo" I guess mean's Ocean and it's used with the Kanji "ko" for child=Ocean Child. But if you use a different Kanji for "yo," like the one meaning "sun" then it's "Sun Child" (I looked this all up, so I'm just going off the translations. That's coupled with "Ono" which, depending on the spelling/Kanji (or is it the hiragana? Never see it written, and I'm obviously not Japanese) means either "Small field," or if it's a long "o," large field. But it looks like Ono can be used interchangeably as either a first or surname. Sooooo...maybe some can be both? Like Tyler is both, or Winston?

We need some professional input here, I don't think my thoughts are gonna cut it :/
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

What there are no rules. Just honorific rules.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    Google, how I love thee:

Kanji names in Japan are governed by the Japanese Ministry of Justice's rules on kanji use in names. As of October 2004 there are 2,232 "name kanji" (the jinmeiyō kanji) and "commonly used characters" (the jōyō kanji) used in personal names, and the Japanese government plans to increase this list by 578 kanji in the near future. This would be the largest increase since World War II. Only kanji which appear on the official list may be used in given names. This is intended to ensure that names can be readily written and read by those literate in Japanese. Rules also govern names considered to be inappropriate; for example, in 1993 two parents who tried to name their child Akuma (悪魔, which literally means "devil") were prohibited from doing so after a massive public outcry.