Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Sylux, because it happens all the time does not mean it's okay. Lack of creativity is one of the leading causes behind our oversaturated media. We often complain that products are not innovative or don't try new things. Wouldn't you say stuff like this is the root of that stagnation?

I do agree, but I believe most of us have become desensitized to it. I've come to believe that I cannot do anything to change it, so I just let it be. I do, however, concur that innovation is key in a successful AND tasteful entertainment market.

yeah it sucks that we can't do anything about it. especially since the company who owns Crystal saga is based in china and their copyright laws are very lax.

I've heard of worse. Like a paris fashion show directly lifting images off of deviantart, and t-shirt makers ripping webcomics off wholesale... But yeah, it's damn annoying considering these people get massive amounts of exposure from it and thus can afford for it to be their day job.

Not much anyone can do about it, other than expose that particular game/image/fashion show's creative bankruptcy, unfortunately. :/

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    It's not really the use of a particular pose or a hairstyle* by another artist that bugs me, it's that these images seem to share several distinct design elements, not just one. I suppose you could chalk some of these up to coincidence or the fact that these types of game characters all require similar style outfits, but I rather think not.

In addition, the pose in the Odin Sphere image is slightly different (direction of the left foot, arm placement, head tilt), whereas the Crystal Saga poses are almost EXACTLY the same as those in the HTK pictures.
    Last edited by indescribable; 03-01-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Yeah I don't think copying the poses is a big deal, though they should never be that identical, especially when it comes to professional work. It's how identical the overall compositions are that is alarming. I can imagine the Odin Sphere pose looking the same way as the HTK pose if the angle was slightly more from behind--but that's exactly it: same pose, different composition. Composition of course accounts for all things like mood, mass distribution, perspective, lighting etc, etc. And to have two pictures so identical in composition is just indicative of a rip off. Of course, this is not to say all compositions will always be original. For example, two impressionistic painters painting the same subject, same angle in the same lighting will have almost identical paintings. but this is because there is only one "right" way to do impressionism, which is measured against accuracy.

These are creative pieces where the artists have full creative control so for these elements to be so similar is inexcusable.

I think that excuses in their cases are limited. In multiple games and anime you/characters wear clothing completely inappropriate for your/their scenario(s). In Masashi Kishimoto's most popular piece, the main character wears a bright orange costume, despite being a ninja-based stealth warrior. In Assassin's Creed II you can also change your attire colors to very ridiculously bright schemes. In the .hack series, especially Project .hack, you wear clothing that is quite unacceptable by physical standards for melee combat. In a lesser degree in .hack Conglomerate, your character often wears more revealing suits. The 3rd form is about the only entirely acceptable one. This applies for many JRPGs, as well. As far as creativity goes in games, regard for what is necessary seems to not quite be an issue in many developers' minds.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    These are creative pieces where the artists have full creative control so for these elements to be so similar is inexcusable.
    This. There are so many fantastic artists out there with brilliant, original ideas who go entirely unheard of (and unemployed).

I'd even say that the costumes are differant enough to be 'meh whatever', but the poses and lighting are just so damn similar, that I could totally believe that some of these might even have been 'shopped over the original images; And I would call somebody out for that if I seen them featured on Deviantart, never mind getting paid a bundle for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    In multiple games and anime you/characters wear clothing completely inappropriate for your/their scenario(s).
    JRPGS, man. Inappropriate clothing, inappropriate weapons, more often than not, inappropriate skin colour. Seriously, through, I think that this is never really brought up by the developers simply because either A) They want really weird, outlandish, memorable characters. B) The developers are not generally artists themselves and are prone to giving directions like "Make it look like one of those 40k space marines, only not".

Ugghh I hate that.

"make it something like [x] from [y]" And it's like: come on, you conceived of a game but you didn't even put any thought into the characters?

"Make a ninja and dress it up like Ryu Hayabusa!"