Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar

Opinions?

A few times while browsing the gallery, i've come across ads for an MMO called Crystal Saga. Now, I've said this a lot of times, I'm a huge fan of Hyung Tae Kim, so I recognize his art or any derivatives of his art when I see it. So what are your opinions on this?

SPOILER! :

Now I understand that "poses" cannot be copied. Heck, as artists we copy poses all the time as part of the learning process. But here, not only the poses have been ripped (with exact angles and perspectives), but the entire composition of each piece has been ripped including lighting, use of atmospheric perspective, and the character designs are extremely similar. The context of the designs and poses are even the same. The worst part is, someone got PAID to do this. It doesn't help that the person being ripped off is one of my most admired artists.

Is anyone else bothered by this?

No

* takes notes *

lack of artistic integrity does not bother Clockhand

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    It kinda bugs me that someone is being recognized and paid for it, but otherwise, no, not really.

Yeah that's pretty much the thing that set me off. I mean I hate it when people don't state their references, but doing that shit on a professional level is just wrong.

It really is a shame that instead of creating their own characters, to attain recognition or pay, people just copy other people's painstakingly drawn work, and calls it their own, or neglects giving the original artist credit for creation of the original drawing. However, it's something that happens, and groaning about it won't change it. One thing, I can't say that I won't feel the same level of anger if the same thing happened to me, so I won't say it doesn't bother me at all, it does a great deal, because I understand the amount of work a lot of these artists put into their art.

Doesn't bother me but I can see why some people would be upset by it

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Its lazy and disheartening to dedicated artists like those that probably lost out on a job to the art thief who designed everything on this game.

Doesn't bother me. Less successful games and other media (p. much mostly games) rip designs straight out of other things. I forget which online game it was, but they literally used Isaac's suit from Dead Space in the game. They called it the Dead Space suit or whatever, but they still ripped. There was an amazing example of some game ripping off Oblivion, but I can't remember it. And it was banned. In addition, there were two off-road games: One successful game, and one cheap copy-clone. It happens all the time, but no need to worry about it.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about poses. On one hand, there's only so many ways the body can be portrayed and to have every artist only show their character in a unique way all the time is asking the impossible. On the other hand, there are certain iconic poses like the Marilyn Monroe skirt floating up pose that are so recognizable that anyone who does the same will be seen as a poser.

Personally, looking at those images, I actually thought about one of my favorite games, Odin Sphere:
    SPOILER! :

I've also seen males with poses like the ones you posted but I can't remember the specific games atm.