Thread: commission artwork

Hybrid View

commission artwork

I have so many questions about commissioned artwork. I have never done it before, but I have been approached many times. Here is one of many of my questions I will be asking about in this forum in no order of importance: What type of paper is proper to use, as far as sketches, line art, Photoshop, etc? Should you also frame it for your client? Any advice or comments is much appreciated.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    For anything I sell, I use very good paper like 100lb or so. it doesn't matter if it's watercolor, colored pencils, plain sketch or whatever. Make sure you use acid free or else the colors will fade over time.

I don't frame mine because it's a pain to ship it and the glass may break. When I ship my artwork, I just tend to cover it in plastic and put in a cardboard backing with notes not to bend it on the mailer (i.e. envelope).

I'm surprised you haven't done any commissions before Ripple. You should try it out and make some extra cash on the side.

Thanks Rio. Lately I have been doing my work on either Avery Cardstock, some very old Sketch paper, or often times some regular 20# copy paper. Do you also recommend colored photoshop or GIMP work on the 100 as well?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    More likely than not, your printer will eventually eat up the paper so you're probably better off going to a Kinko's, Staples or something to do it. I've also printed digital work on special Photo paper too and it works great for the first X amount of prints but after awhile, your printer takes a beating so you're better off getting it done at commercial stores. It looks great on photo paper, btw. C:

I haven't tried it but I think digital art would turn out best with Color Laser Printers. Color print-outs turn out great on regular flimsy paper so if you use better paper, I think the result would be pretty sweet.

I've primarily used Photoshop so I can only speak for using PS for printing...