Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your opinion on the best laptop?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I dunno man, it's pretty awesome when you can take something more powerful than an Xbox and PS3 combined with you and play whenever. Nadda mean, bruh? I mean, if you dig the stationary stuff, cool. I like laptops, cause there's a 85% larger chance single components won't die off.
    I've had desktops in the past, the harddrives end up burning out, or the MOBO gives out, or something else gives a shit. I've had about 4 laptops in recent years, only thing that dies is the battery pack, and even then I just keep em plugged up. Though they are dated quickly, which is why you pay more, so you're assured you're future proofed for a bit. I don't see any games taking full optimized advantage of DX11 any time soon. DX11 is meant to make games look better, and run faster, but atm you got games like Metro 2033, Red Faction: Armageddon, Crysis2, etc. And they all get a massive FPS hit.
    So until that happens, if you pay more for a gaming laptop, you're effectively future-proofed for a few years at least.

But I'm talking about in the gaming sense. I'm a gamer, so I mean... of course I'm gonna pay more for a good piece of hardware.

edit: You get what you pay for. That sums it all up.
    Last edited by GunZet; 03-04-2012 at 03:31 AM.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Honestly, OP is looking at a Macbook.

Well, your best bet is a computer that will be good for 3d rendering as they are surely to work well with games as well. They practically have the same requirements and will most likely work to your advantage as you are inclined to do some GIMP work on it as well.

The newer ivy bridge modules are slated to roll out in a few months so that would be something that you would probably want to wait for.

Just had my laptop melt on me for the dozenth time and I thought I'd drop you a peice of advice; Some high spec laptops do come with their own problems. Heating, in the case of the said HP Pavillion. T'was a very nice old warhorse, but it was on it's fourth power adapter before the CPU finally toasted last week.

So yeah, there is nothing wrong with going "middle of the range", if affordability and reliability is what you are after. Avoiding touch screen computers or things with Vista software is always a good idea if cheap performance is what you are after, too.