Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing programs?

Drawing programs?

Hey folks, does anyone know some good freeware drawing programs?
    i've tried using Bamboo Paper, but suffice to say, it's kind of lacking...
    so if you would be so kind as to post a suggestion and a link to the download, then that would be great.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I'll list out a few.

#1 GIMP : Totally free, pretty damn good, steep learning curve when it comes to tools and the UI.
    #2 Sketchbook Pro 2011 : Students get all Autodesk programs for free, though I don't know if this is international, and I don't know if you are a student.
    #3 Inkscape : Again totally free. Focuses on vector graphics.

Those are the top ones I know about that are free.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

You could also use the group board

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    HAH! Like that place ever works right... (crashes me computer every time, me harties)

#1 GIMP (problems if your using a Mac though... maybe that's just me. *is technologically challenged*)

I haven't used anything else though, besides dAMuro... but Gimp has been wonderful for me.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Gimp has a lot of different tools and options. It's what I learned on and is still my main drawing program. FireAlpaca is another free program. It doesn't have a huge selection as far as tools go, but the lines (for me) appear smoother and it has some great perspective gridding options that I haven't found on other programs.

@AnimeRebel: Your computer may have a virus. The GB wouldn't work on my laptop and it turned out my computer had a huge virus that almost shut it down. Once we destroyed the virus, the GB worked perfectly for me. Not to scare you at all, but you might want to run a scan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Nah, it's that I'm too cheap to buy the extra gig of RAM I need to update to the next OS

...Gimp doesn't work on here either.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    There's a bunch of these free softwares listed here. Look under Art (Software - Graphic). :>

That was an awesome list !

Here are some you can look atAll FREE, just google them)
    Artweaver (Free Version)
    Deep Paint (commercial product that became free later on)
    MyPaint
    LazPaint
    LiveBrush (Adobe Air required but its awesome!)
    Magix Photo Clinic 4.5 (on Cnet completely free)
    Old version of Open Canvas ver 1 (http://www.flat2d.com/opencanvas_en.aspx)
    Vicmans photo editor
    Chasys Draw IES

and these are just the one I remembered! There are probably much more out there too! But it depends on what you want you want from them.

I know you asked only for free programs, and you probably have enough suggestions to last you a lifetime, but if you're okay with spending even a liiiitle amount of money, I would highly suggest SAI Painter. I think it's 50 USD which may be more than what you're willing to pay, but trust me, it is the most amazing drawing program I've used by far and definitely worth the money (and you can share the cost with friends). I was using Photoshop before, and in comparison, painting in SAI Painter feels like painting on a glass surface, or on water. You don't have all the fancy editing tools PS has to offer, and I don't even think it has a text editor. But for drawing, it is seriously the best.

They offer a free 30-day trial or something so you can give it a try to see if it's for you.
    (I sound like I'm advertising, but I am in no way affiliated with the company. I'm just in love with this program hahaha.)

not free but the new big thing these days is clip studio paint. basically the upgraded version of paint tool sai