Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Artist for Collaboration ( Now paid )

Hybrid View

Seeking Artist for Collaboration ( Now paid )

Hey all,

I'm currently browsing around for a potential collaboration with an Artist. Unfortunately my current income doesn't realistically afford me the ability to outright hire the help and I've never quite been able to get my own abilities in the Art department up to scratch and at a level I can really run with.

So, the grimy basics behind this, bulletpointed and all'

I'm looking for an Artist who..

- Is of decent skill, but still amateur and interested in a collaborative project

- Preferably has a little experience in creating a manga, beyond nice looking oekaki's.

- This could be anything from just a very short piece, or something heavier.

- Has a decent work ethic ( I'd like to agree target time frames for things being done, Nothing overly rigid, but agreements on when I will supply 'x' and you will draft 'y'. If something needs longer, it's not a problem however )

- Is willing to invest in the project; give and take creative criticism as well as chip a few of their own ideas in.

- Is looking to shy away from trends and show off their own style.

- Is interested in creating a short piece as a 'trial run' and then if we're all happy, considering taking it further and making a project of it.

In return I can offer...

- No immediate payment, however should we pass 'stage 1' and feel quite happy about the state of things, the plan would be to attempt to foster a fanbase, start a 'page-a-week arrangement', and perhaps sell merchandise ( Printed copies, t-shirts, etc ). I would be willing to split all profits on this on a 70(you)/30(me) basis. Similarly if a 'tips' system is brought into place I would be happy to continue the 70/30 split. Purely commissioned work featuring any character designs from the collaboration would be your own property and I would not seek any share of profit from them. I would however ask to be credited for involvement in the project related to those designs where appropriate ( Image tags, description for example. )

- Financial arrangements can be agreed in detail should they become a factor.

- Full input on the writing process and story, my primary role would be to handle the writing, and yours the art, you would still be welcome to make suggestions and come out with ideas however. Much of the script would be built around plot points, so there would be plenty in between that could have an idea built into the mix - provided it makes sense, not breaking character and such.

- Assistance with lesser tasks if required. I'm not very good, however I could fill in if you need more of the mundane stuff done so you can focus on the more important parts.

- On the off chance you're looking for a composer I am a musician and could perhaps help you create something... Soundcloud with a couple of random things I've done recently - http://soundcloud.com/mockharmonic

- And of course, the story itself.

What I wish to do to start off

- Create a very short piece encompassing the small synopsis below - nothing major, just a little trial run to see if we are both happy with how things will go. Imagine it as being the potential first few pages.

- That's pretty much it, although I'd like to accomplish this within a 4 month timeline. This would include established character sketches, drafts and aesthetics solidified and in place to reference going forward as well as a completed story board before the final product goes into production. I'd like to take some time over this, throwing creativity back and forth and putting the heads together to create the best short piece we can possibly make of it.

-- Removed Details of story etc due to coming to an arrangement with an artist --
    Last edited by Im_not_random; 04-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Salutations Im_not_random (haha too formal?) well, I'm not here to become a illustrator for this original manga...I am too young(plus my style is too fusion between DBZ and Naruto like nowadays so..not sure I could get away with that XD)...But I think if you put your main character's(s') info/persona (like alot of new manga do surprisingly) in the front of the manga I believe the readers can get more of a view of the characters before they read...(but thats my opinion)
    Sorry if I wasted your time by the way

Hey Tales ( Providing it's good to call you that - Quite happy just to be referred to as Random myself. Just a tag really )

Didn't consider putting more fleshed out details of the characters up, makes sense though. Shall do below thanks!

But really, you are really not wasting my time. Appreciate the suggestion! I have some notes stored regarding the more important ones, so not a hassle at all.

-- Removed Details of story etc due to coming to an arrangement with an artist --
    Last edited by Im_not_random; 04-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.

HEHE!!!!! Very very brilliant, person who I didn't randomly stumble into. I like your ideas. AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how do I know your IDEAS???? Don't give away your ish just like that, miss. Imagine if it was a black guy other than me (and yes, I do like fried chicken)....(hate melons though) who found this? He'd steal your idea and make it a reality!!!! other wise I'm interested in collabo. contact me if you wish it!!!!! Bwahahaha!!! nelsonsimwemba@gmail.com or facebook: Nelson Bread hunter simwemba!!! (OMG, I really am a freak!) I'mma email you quick sketches of my ish if you do contact at all. I'm making this post long as payback for your long post which I endured!!!

Hey!

To be fair I haven't really given the whole idea away. The basic premise and a few random things but it's pretty soulless in it's current form - none of the actual plot is involved really. Not going to divulge that too easily

The premise has been done before in a similar manner however, Angel Beats comes to mind but I'm sure it's not the only thing that's ever messed with the idea of people dieing and then waking up in a world that works differently from the last.

Also there are inconsistencies in the above - there are explanations for those... But if you just stole the ideas without patching up those holes via plot and character development it's still gonna be a bit empty.

But anyway, have emailed you. Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Will you be writing the script and are the characters already designed? This sounds like it would be a blast to draw, but I was once in a collab with someone who gave me rough outline and expected me to design all the charries, write the script and draw the pages. As you can imagine it collapsed like a Jenga tower and we both left the project pissed off at each other.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

Hey!

Yeah, I'd be writing the script, designing characters etc. The artist would be completely open to giving suggestions and saying " I really think we should change this - it doesn't work " however.

In terms of how characters look, how the world looks etc I'm happy to either let the artist decide for themselves or provide some concept sketches and details to make the artist's job a lot easier. I wouldn't expect them to look amazing though Depends on how involved the artist wants to be, really.

I'm not really sure how to do the page, frame layouts however - that one I'd really need to rely on the artist to handle. That's about the only thing I'm a bit totally lost at ( which is why I'd prefer someone with experience ).

Alright If you're still looking I'll get a portfolio together in the next few days and send. It your way.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

That would be awesome, looking forward to seeing it!

alrighty good luck starting up