Thread: Serenade's Chibis

Serenade's Chibis

Okay so for those of you who don't know, I'm just starting out and have no background drawing Anime, Chibis, or anything. So I was going through the tutorials, and seeing as how Chibis were right at the top, I decided it would be a nice easy thing to start off on before I get serious on drawing regular Anime.

But now I've got a few here that I think are alright, and I don't seem to be improving dramatically beyond this point. So If anyone has any tips to help me improve my hands, eyes, alignment, or anything I'd really appreciate it. Also I plan to move on to more realistic Anime very soon so if anyone has any tips regarding that, also appreciated. Anyway, here they are.

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :
    Last edited by mop; 02-21-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Haha they aren't bad man

If you want to get a headstart into being a mangaka you will want to do a few things

1. Buy a few sketch books, 1 medium/large and a smaller one that is easy to carry around with you in your bag or pocket whichever you like.

2. Sketch a vast amount of things, the small book you get you should use as a field diary carry it everywhere, if you see something interesting do a few small sketches, draw as many different things as you can, as a mangaka you need to develop your skills many artists do this and many professional manga artists go on trips around the world just for inspiration.

The best thing about this is these little doodles you do will form an inspiration treasure trove, when you are in a pinch creating your wonderful manga to be. flip through your field diaries (you will collect many trust me) and get ideas and inspiration for stories.

Love to see more drawings, best way to improve is to copy from life

Everything is cool except for the arms in the last one. ID say too wide and big everything else....pretty darn cute.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    I very much agree with Cloudy; drawing from life is an essential part of learning to draw. However, I believe it is also important to understand what you are seeing/drawing, and learning basic human proportions will help you immensely. The thing that many people don't understand when drawing chibi figures is that you don't just throw anatomy out the window. The proportions are still there, they're just more flexible.

SPOILER! :

For the average adult, the length from the crotch to the feet is about the same as the length from the top of the head to the crotch. For a child, however, the crotch to foot length is closer to the distance from the chin to the crotch. Try to think of a chibi as a child with an extremely large head (usally 1/3 to 1/2 the overall body length, but occasionally larger). As in real life, the wrists should fall at or just above crotch length. Also, learning proportions of the face/head will also be very useful.

In short, learning real anatomy before learning how to stylize it may not be the most exciting thing ever, but it will probably benefit you more than you can imagine.

I'm willing to give critique on each individual image if that's what you would prefer, but I doubt it would be as helpful as following the advice that you have already been given by Cloudy or myself. Keep on drawing and posting. :)