Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Your 5 Favorite Manga (And Anime)

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    Gantz
    I can't decide whither Gantz is like, incredibly overrated or not... I mean, I bought all of the anime and manga when I was younger so I can hardly complain too much, and all of the black comedy and shock value does remind me alot of No More Heroes...

But those doofy endings just explain absolutely bugger all, and make all the time that the characters spent angsting a little pointless.

Not saying it's awful or anything. Hell, it's intentionally awful. Just looking back, I can't really say that I remember anything good happening except for pure shock value. And butter dog.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Demonfrye: Blue Exorcist is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. The only bad thing about it is that it's a monthly manga and not a weekly one.

Reg: I haven't watched the anime, but the manga hasn't had a doofy ending. There is actually some character growth as it goes.

OHHHH. You mean doofy in that people get brought back whole if they didn't actually die. Eh. It works.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

@Bacon_Barbarian - Ok i'll go look it up on manga storm and read it now :P

@Sylux - Fair enough is there a particular thing you didn't like about them?

Yeah, I couldn't enjoy .hack//GIFT because I never finished .hack//SIGN since it was so awfully boring. I enjoyed 4koma, though, I think it's hilarious and I like to try and re-read it often. The most disgusting thing was .hack//G.U.+ because it missed out on the enormous plot details of the Epitaph Avatars as actually things that the users used to fight, not just summoned (in fact, it's a very, very large part of the game Vol. 1: Rebirth) and that Haseo was reverted to Twin Blade when he was data drained by Kite of the Azure Sky in the games. Legend of the Twilight was good, though, I liked it, and I've heard some O.K. things about A.I. Buster.

I didn't bother watching .hack//GIFT, the animation really annoys me >.> and yeah .hack//SIGN is very slow but it does pick up a bit more towards the second half, I suppose it also depends on whether your more into the interactions of characters and their development and stuff. I still need to finish .hack//G.U.+ but wasn't it supposed to be just a simple manga adaption hence why it missed that crucial detail? Actually I haven't played the G.U. game series, mainly because I haven't been able to acquire them as of yet and aren't the A.I. Busters light novels like .hack//Another Birth?

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Not saying it's awful or anything. Hell, it's intentionally awful. Just looking back, I can't really say that I remember anything good happening except for pure shock value. And butter dog.
    If you're talking about the anime its just awful yeah. They basically took what was already a ridiculous silly story and turned up the depravity up to 11. The manga goes in a wildly different direction and it becomes an epic about a boy who finds something to live for and what he needs to do to stay alive.

It never stops being stupid though. I mean vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    I didn't bother watching .hack//GIFT, the animation really annoys me >.> and yeah .hack//SIGN is very slow but it does pick up a bit more towards the second half, I suppose it also depends on whether your more into the interactions of characters and their development and stuff. I still need to finish .hack//G.U.+ but wasn't it supposed to be just a simple manga adaption hence why it missed that crucial detail? Actually I haven't played the G.U. game series, mainly because I haven't been able to acquire them as of yet and aren't the A.I. Busters light novels like .hack//Another Birth?
    No clue lol. But yeah, .hack//G.U.+ was supposed to be a total adaptation, since honestly there is still a significant bit of grinding in the video games, although it is quite tapered from the original series. The total level cap for Conglomerate is Lv. 150, but for the original Project .hack it was 99. Considering it's spread out over four games, that means a lot of grinding for each level, whereas G.U. is three games, and the level cap starts at 50 and is increased by 50 each game, making more levels, and less time to reach each level, so less time to prepare for the next major plot development area or whatever.

^They sound like a good series of games i'm gonna see if i'm able to hunt any copies down again :P oh and does that mean your progress gets passed onto the next game in the series when you play it?

Yeah if you actually finish the game and get the data flag. And if you have any data flags from Project .hack, you get a small but pretty special little Easter egg in .hack Conglomerate. But the original series is extremely expensive. You're going to be shelling out heavy money, like in the $300-$400 area for good copies, all the games included (.hack//G.U. isn't that hard to find).

Oh ok :/ it's been hard to find sellers in the UK anyway, I wonder if there is an emulator or something for it...