View Poll Results: What do I need to improve on the most?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facial expressions

4 30.77%
  • Hair

4 30.77%
  • Hands

5 38.46%
  • Clothes

2 15.38%
  • Poses

6 46.15%
  • Shading

6 46.15%
  • line work

6 46.15%
  • feet

5 38.46%
  • coloring

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Liebe's Art Eye see you

YEAAAAAAH!!!!!! Lol, was looking around for something to draw, found a pic of Bastian riding on Falcor and decided to do some fan art, I think considering my level this is pretty good.

Just generally, when you draw stuff like this, keep the lines loose and focus on correct measurements. It's important to get everything to the correct size in relation to everything else. Things like making lines for fur, eyes, nose and so on comes later. Keep it up, it'll really help to practice this stuff

I was listening to Layla, and decided it'd be fun to try my hand at drawing Eric Clapton, and actually, I think I might do a series of these drawings, be good way to improve my skills, what little there is, ha ha ha.

U should trace to get better

Yeah, well the thing about reference is that the ones who view your work is going to compare it with the reference they've got stored in their brains. And it's always easier to say "this doesn't look right" than it is to draw something exactly as it is. Artists have always used reference in their work, but for some reason artists of our generation initially avoid it. I didn't either until just a couple of years ago, and now I realize that I didn't really didn't know much about how things really looked before that. If I somehow missed the point: use reference! All the good artists out there does, why shouldn't you? Now on to the important stuff:

Eric Clapton (used to) rock! The guitarist I enjoy most is Zappa, so if you're going to make a series of guitarists-portraits I wonder if I could request a portrait of him? (if I somehow missed my point twice; use reference )

Pretty awesome. THe only thing that bugs my eyes is how the nose lines are soo hard. I think you could have given it a much better look if you drew the nose with shadows instead of lines.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

So, instead of lines, indicate the bridge of the nose with shading?

Yes. For example, look at Gedeon's avatar and signature. When drawing realism, even if you've got it stylized to use lines, the nose is one of those things you've got to be careful of.

Also, when you shade, try using the side of your pencil. If you're using a mechanical pencil, try small circles.

This chart may help:

This is how I was taught shading. Make yourself a value key like the one above and stick to it. You can have values in between the boxes, but you're gonna want to get your base values down first. So, looking at Eric, I'd have to assume his top lip, buttons, and fret dots would have to be your darkest dark, and his pick guard, cuffs, and upper face would be the lightest light.

Looking back up at that paragraph, I'm terrible at explaining. Here, this website is better at explaining it.

I drew TinTin yesterday, thought it'd be fun, also I needed practice drawing at 3/4, s you can see I need to work quite a bit on this, because I'd really rather not always draw characters facing forward, all stiff like so hey, ha ha ha. I drew this, because, well I loved the show as a kid, it was pretty awesome the opening theme always pumped me up.

Awwww it's tintin! :3 This is pretty good, it's nice to see that you're switching it up and practicing 3/4. The things that strike me right away are that his head is flat at back - it's like his head cuts off once you go past his ear - also his hands need work. Other people have said this, but it really is important to practice drawing things like hands and anatomy. I mean personally I struggle drawing hands and I'm planning on getting a small book and dedicating it to drawing them. Also I'm not sure what's going on with his legs/pants. It's bulging in strange places and he doesn't seem to have knees. I hope none of that seemed harsh, i do think you're showing improvement.
    Here's the thing that's bothering me - I'm pretty sure that people have mentioned building up a person from basic shapes like the shapes on this guy:

SPOILER! :

It's really really important to practice anatomy! No joke. I spent quite some time just drawing bodies without clothes (both with poses from reference and poses I made in my mind). Even though it may seem boring, I would love to see some pictures of just anatomy and/or hand practice from you. If we can see how you draw a person's body when they aren't clothed then it's easier to help correct any minor anatomy mistakes. Feel free to draw them in swimsuits if you want to. Then later when you go to put clothes on them you'll have avoided things like the random bulge on his leg or his shoulder sloping down at a weird angle. You can feel free to ignore me, but I really do think it would help you improve as an artist! Regardless of all that keep up the good work and keep practicing!