View Poll Results: What do I need to improve on the most?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facial expressions

4 30.77%
  • Hair

4 30.77%
  • Hands

5 38.46%
  • Clothes

2 15.38%
  • Poses

6 46.15%
  • Shading

6 46.15%
  • line work

6 46.15%
  • feet

5 38.46%
  • coloring

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Liebe's Art Eye see you

More sketches, whee! Originally, I was going to sketch me a tiger, but I didn't know how and where to draw the stripes, so I elected to draw a lion, ha ha ha.

I'm going to start doing a bit of a wide variety of fan art, so expect more. Catsy, I drew from mind except for her tu-tu, had to look up a pic to be able to draw it somewhat properly, as for Sailor Mars, well I had to use a reference fro the body.

Lovin' all the variety man Good stuff. And it's cool that you're expanding beyond the human form too! I need to do that more often OTL

Onto the crits!
    -If you want to draw something but don't have a good feel for what it looks like get yourself a ref picture. It's not cheating.
    -Sailor Mars' arm looks broken. I'm not sure if it's just a tangent in your lines or whatever but right where it pokes out below her skirt the angle seems weird to me.
    -I'm seeing a reoccuring problem in the legs. Particularly in the knees. It kinda looks like there's the thighs and calfs but no joint due to how tight you're sinching in the area. Knees tend to be a rather thick and knobby joint and they bring a lot of form to the leg. Yes the knee area does get narrow when viewing a straight leg from the front but not quite so drasticly. Take a look at some photo refs and you'll see what I mean.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

I was actually going to hold off on creating characters for my Project until I've mastered the fundamentals of art, but decided there's no harm in at least setting up stepping stones for when I do start my manga. This is a proto-type character for that manga, Richard 'the Bear' Mann. I will start posting more proto-types for characters, as well as backgrounds of the Mangas setting.... though I think I might just create a new manga thread in Manga Anime art, not sure.

Lol, apparently, I need work on muscular anatomy, much work. I suppose in the next few weeks, I may be able to do a better job, hopefully.

I was thinking I should actually do a study, lol. This time.... maybe a study on facial expressions, or Abdominal muscles, maybe Hands, not quite sure.... you know, I might just do studies for all three one after another.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 02-22-2012 at 12:16 AM.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Nothin wrong with makin OC's early on in your artistic career, they can actually help speed up improvement in a way.

So, we're dealin with bad as bear man. The first thing that jumps out at me is the neck. It shouldn't curve inward that much. Especially with a masculine neck, try to make the neck thicker and straighter (though not perfectly straight).

Moving down the image the chest muscles stick out to me. They look more like female breasts, which is an issue when we're looking for a bad ass guy. Again, more angular lines for the chest would fix that. And try to remember that the chest muscles connect up toward the deltoid area.

Also the obliques (or muscles surrounding the abdomenals) aren't that pronounced unless your hella thin. The most muscular of guys have a few prominent but certainly in that number.

Facial anatomy's pretty on point though

Till next time.

Another prototype character for my manga, Crysal. As my manga may end up being part Harem. Crystal is essentially the wild, lusty, drunk babe of the 'harem'.

I watched a movie a while ago, called Ink, if you're into indie flicks at all, you may have hearde of it, it's a great movie and I insist that you take and hour 45 minutes out of your life to watch it, I don't think you'll really regret it.

You've improved much better on body proportions and things since I last visited For your picture of Crystal: I think her right (our left) forearm is a bit too big, try and narrow it a bit. Also, a comment on the boobs (that applies to your other drawings too) - whilst there's nothing wrong with big breasted women, you tend to draw each one as big as (or sometimes bigger) than the character's head, which makes the drawings look quite disproportionate. However, that is some peoples' styles, so if you're aiming for a stylised thing then don't worry about it. Also, you mostly draw them as pretty much perfect circles, which isn't their shape - when a girl is wearing a top, you don't tend to see the whole shape, unless the clothing is very tight, so for instance on your picture of Catsy, you don't need most of it outlined. If it is a looser top, you tend not to see the line in the middle seperating the two, just their outline, and a bit of a line underneath seperating it from the tummy. If they're not wearing a top, or something that only partially covers you would then see more of the shape. Hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Liebe View Post
    SPOILER! :

I'm going to start doing a bit of a wide variety of fan art, so expect more. Catsy, I drew from mind except for her tu-tu, had to look up a pic to be able to draw it somewhat properly, as for Sailor Mars, well I had to use a reference fro the body.

Okay, you just became the coolest person in this forum, because you actually have some Sailor Moon fan art. Seriously, I LOVE Sailor Moon. Did you know the re-releases from Kondasha (is that right?) press are finally coming out! Yay! Beats the Pocket Mixx.

Critique time. I'm only gonna do this one, cause I need to get some sleeps soon. o_O sorry.

I like how you tackle Rei's pose. You've got an interesting stance, which is a good start. One thing I always try to do (and try to tell others to do) is try to get the whole body on the page (not that cropping can't be done well, it's just good to do the whole body always until you get a good feel for it. It helped me a lot!) Also, now that you've got an awesome pose, be careful of proportions. Her torso, I believe, should not be so elongated (just shorten it up a bit :3) and her right (our left) arm is too long. Arms should reach about the middle of the thigh. Her arm in the picture is currently reaching mid-thigh, but with bent elbow, so it'd be longer than it should be if she lowered it to her side. Those are just a few things you might want to work on. But I could tell who you were drawing right away-and the hands for the most part are pretty good, but need a little refining.

I'm too lazy to do Catsy. But keep on truckin'! You're showing improvement :3 Good to see you posting stuff again!
    Last edited by Blue_Dragon; 02-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

No I learn everything from reference and then evolve it. I learn basics, for instance, of mecha drawing by drawing pre-existing mechs, then use those fundamentals to create original pics. It's not a bad thing and it's pretty much mostly necessary.

^I second. References help you get a feel of what something should look like, and then once you're familiar, you build on it. Totally agree with Sy :3 (not be confused with Psy) Sci fi? o_O What's going on. I need sleep.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Yeah, you shouldn't worry about using a ref. When I first started I thought that refs were only for newbies, then as I drew more I found out that even the most experienced artists use them - eg. if you've heard of Mark Crilley, he's a published manga artist, and he still uses refs for clothing and poses. So you shouldn't feel bad about it it just makes the pic better, right? and you deffo are improving keep it up!