View Poll Results: What do I need to improve on the most?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facial expressions

4 30.77%
  • Hair

4 30.77%
  • Hands

5 38.46%
  • Clothes

2 15.38%
  • Poses

6 46.15%
  • Shading

6 46.15%
  • line work

6 46.15%
  • feet

5 38.46%
  • coloring

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Liebe's Art Eye see you

I don't think the problem is in the legs so much as it's in the hips and the way the legs attach to them. (Semi NSFW): Example. The femurs attach to the outside of the hips. The only thing filling in the space in the middle is flesh so you'll have a gap between the legs starting at the crotch. Right now it looks like your legs are just coming together at the top.

Don't forget that the bones are what defines the shape of the legs. Legs have sort of an out, in and down curve while simply standing up. Example2. The femur starts at the outside of the hips, swoops inside to the knee and continues downward through the calves.

I have pointed this out to you before and I can mostly see it here on the inside of the legs belonging to the woman on the right. Be careful about how you cinch in the legs at the knee. Knees have mass dividing and joining the upper and lower leg simultaneously. The contours of the musculature should flow in and out of the knee section gracefully. You can see this in Example2. As long as were on the subject of knees I'm noticing that most of your joint areas (hips, shoulders, elbows, etc...) need study as well. There is stuff between limb sections, not just a blank area where the body bends :b

Legs seem a bit short on the right while the torso is too long, being more correctly proportioned on the left. Hands are too small on both. It's really just a bunch of little things like that overall.

But man, I have got to be honest with you. I'm familiar with your work, I've been gone a while so I looked over your whole thread again to brush up. I saw a lot of very good critique and I saw a lot of you promising to take the advice to heart and study. I've seen a few studies and a few copies of other art, but I really feel like you keep falling into your old habits regardless of what you have been advised of and what you seem to have learned. Now I'm probably going to get all sorts of hate for this: I don't want to insult you but I'm really not seeing any drive. I see a lot of you begging for critique and not a lot of change.

Practice from reference man and do it until your eyes bleed and the human body is cemented in your brain. If you do studies of a certain body part, include what you learned in your full body drawings. If you haven't studied Andrew Loomis yet, for the love of god study him. Most of his books are available for free online in PDF format.
    Last edited by SuperKasey; 06-17-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

I had to be sure,thank you for making things clear, I've been wasting my time, and your's. You people will only see studies, only studies, no more worthless art from me, only studies. Just studies until I've fixed all the mistakes I make, and until I've broken all my stupid habits. I'm sorry for wasting your time with all this shit, I can do much better, and I can prove it. Kasey, I will prove it.
    If I can't, I'll ask for a perm ban.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 06-17-2012 at 01:51 AM.

hey, that doesn't sound like the usual optimistic liebe!
    we like your art! include it with your studies!

Kiddo, as appreciative I am to read your post, I really am, I screwed up bad, and got way too far ahead of myself. No art, only studies, that's how it will be until I've earned the right to draw what I like.... well, for real, this time.

So, as a start, I'm going to do a studies on the human head, both male and female.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 06-17-2012 at 02:04 AM.

That is not what I meant and you know it. Buck up and keep drawing whatever you want. All I ask is that in conjunction with your artwork you put a little more effort into basic principle. You did not "screw up bad" everybody has to learn whether it be from their own mistakes and discovery or from other people. What I was trying to strike at is the fact that you have gotten so much critique and so much of it you never use. If you're going to ask for it be ready to use it. Otherwise you might have more fun with self critique and self discovery, learning to draw on your own initiative.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

^ what she said. c'mon liebe! be happy and proudly display your drawings for the world to enjoy and improve right along side you!

I have to agree with SuperKasey, Liebe you have been lucky enough to get more critique than most people on this forum - just compare the amount of pages on your thread to most other peoples! Whilst you have deffinitely improved, there have been some repeated critiques which you dont always seem to change. Also if people point out to do studies like this, you always tell them that you're really bad, sorry sorry sorry, yes you'll get on it right away - you dont need to think or speak like that! Ofc carry on drawing what you want, just when you sit down to do a drawing, look at the most recent critiques you've got, and make a conscious effort to correct it in your new drawing - and just do studies along side it, one day draw a pic you want, the next do a study from a few references, you can alternate! keep on working as hard as you have, and you'll carry on seeing an improvement - it takes time, this thread has only been up a few months, you wont be a master already!

Okay, after a good night's sleep, some breakfast, well, I overreacted, is my bad.

Never expected to become a master, just expected I'd have made a real improvement, but I guess I haven't, not yet.

I'm going to be posting a pic of a sexy chick later today.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 06-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.

A scanner would help a tiny bit... anyways, I'll post a more complete version of this later tonight, or perhaps tomorrow afternoon, depends, really.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 06-17-2012 at 09:13 PM.

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    Hard to see, but anyway the basic forms of it are all there, the pose looks like the picture- that much is true. But it all feels very stiff to me. Try to loosen up a little when you draw so your poses have more life to them. That and bare in mind that human eyes aren't exactly the shape you have drawn.