View Poll Results: What do I need to improve on the most?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facial expressions

4 30.77%
  • Hair

4 30.77%
  • Hands

5 38.46%
  • Clothes

2 15.38%
  • Poses

6 46.15%
  • Shading

6 46.15%
  • line work

6 46.15%
  • feet

5 38.46%
  • coloring

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Liebe's Art Eye see you

Thank you for posting the ref this time. I can really pin point your issues now.

I need you to stop thinking in "lines", and start thinking in shapes and proportions.In your picture I can see how you looked at the shapes of his eyes, eye brows and mustache and copied them pretty well. The problem is you are "improvising", especially when it comes to hair.
    When you draw hair, don't try and draw each "strand" with a single line. Look at the basic shape of the hair as a "whole" or look at the shapes of "Locks" of hair.

When it comes to faces, after drawing something, Like his eye for example, ask yourself "proportional questions".Example: "whats bigger in the ref, his eye or his mouth? Why doesn't blank look like blank in the ref?" Don't be afraid to get a ruler out if you have to and measure things. when drawing from a ref its a lot more of training your eye to see details than drawing skill.
    All in all for your next ref drawing put your full focus into getting the correct Shape and Size.
    Last edited by NWAP; 04-18-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Agreed with the two dudes above. Your drawings will look a lot better with more shadows. And one thing i do with hair when i draw trad, is that i try and get the outline of the hair right and all that is inside i shade & highlight.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Yeah, what Ninja said makes a lot of sense; the purpose of your studies is to understand the the translation from objects in 3d-space to a flat surface. I'm glad you posted the reference however, because it's kinda bad as a study reference. The picture is taken with a flash from the front, eliminating all the shadows from the shapes, which makes them really hard to understand. Try using something like this or this instead.

just wanted to add that I think you're really improving, and I'm glad you're really sticking out people's crits and taking them on board

what do you think? What kind of artist do you want to be? I think only you are able to answer that. The important thing is that you think it's fun to do your art, if you tell us your goal then there's a good chance that someone can point you the right direction

Yeah, realistic goals is good, but there's nothing wrong with a vision to top it either. Getting comics published seems to be a cool thing, and it's good to know because I think if that's the case you are a bit off doing portraits from photo ref. Read Loomis' "Fun with a pencil" if you haven't already, it's great. Start doing figure drawings, study perspective. Start doing comic strips or something and try to get a local newspaper to print them in their publication, they often have an interest in promoting young local artists. Or do whatever you think is best, this is just what I would've done

hey u have definitely improved! first thing i would like to point out is front lighting kinda flats out the forms..so try avoiding references with front lighting. when you draw its good to stay zoomed out. walk back a few steps from you drawing/ use a mirror but always focus on the big picture. and its always good to block in the shapes first with angles..like straight long lines and gradually move into the details.

when ever you start to draw its always better to think about your drawing. if your drawing from photos spend some time analyzing it ...whats going on, y is that happening..and try to do it from memory. analyzing is the most important part. gradually u will be able to draw your concepts, stories down. if you are studying the fundamentals .. perspective etc. try to see hows it is used in your references, other artists works , even real life. Understanding the concept is really crucial.
    drawing comics or anything from your memory will be a piece of cake then.
    Last edited by -Al; 04-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Yeah, I agree with Rubisko's advice. I don't know much about drawing actual comics, but to me, whilst realistic portraits are good, help give you a good sense of real body proportions to emulate in your art, and if you have an interest in doing them ofc you should still do them for fun, but if comic writing is what you want to do, i'd say focus more on getting your full body proportions nailed really well, so you can start practicing dynamic poses - comics often have fight scenes etc etc. also have a go writing short stories or something, to start getting used to creating a good and gripping story which you can later transfer into comics with pictures but you have improved lots since you've started!

Quote Originally Posted by Liebe View Post
    I have a very improtant question to ask... am I even on the right track towards becoming a good artist? I don't know, seems I'm floundering at this time, maybe I'm trying things to advanced, and should go back to basics, what do you people think?
    I dont think there is any "right track" besides drawing on a regular basis and asking for help. I think no matter what artist you want to become you need to actually TAKE THE TIME to do it right. I've noticed you mention time and time again that you should take more time to fill in the details. You have the knowledge, take the time to put it into practice. Stop worrying about "am I improving? How can I improve faster?" Put your focus on the QUALITY of your work. This may mean having to redraw things several times, stopping a drawing half way to do some research or look at refs so you can know how to proceed. Yes, this takes time, but whats more important? And like I said, you already have the knowledge, so if you spend more time focusing on quality, you'll most likely improve faster than you think.

To back up what NWAP said. There was an article I read a couple months ago which said that in order to work at the level of a master in any field over 10,000 hours of practice and work must be completed. Consider how many hours a day you spend drawing and you can calculate how long it will take you to be at the level of some master artists. If you draw only 2 hours a day every day, it will take you a little over 13 and a half years to achieve the level of a master. Many people in design schools or other art institutions spend 10 or more hours a day working on projects or other art assignments which gives them an impressive head start compared to people practicing on their own for a couple hours here and there.

How can you improve faster then? Spend more time each day drawing and sketching. There are no shortcuts.