View Poll Results: What do I need to improve on the most?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facial expressions

4 30.77%
  • Hair

4 30.77%
  • Hands

5 38.46%
  • Clothes

2 15.38%
  • Poses

6 46.15%
  • Shading

6 46.15%
  • line work

6 46.15%
  • feet

5 38.46%
  • coloring

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Liebe's Art Eye see you

Liebe's Art Eye see you

I've been working on a drawing right now, and I will upload it either tonight or tomorrow night. I think it might be my best yet, though that's not saying much, ha ha ha.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I've made this thread specifically for people to post doodles or general exercises.
    http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/...Let-s-exercise!

So feel free to post whatever little sketches you have there if you want.
    *make sure you get some art in here though, lol*

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a..._Duane/024.jpg

I still have a long way to go, but I do actually think I may be getting a tad bit better.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Alright. Let's get this crit crackin' shall we?

Starting from the main features, outwards.

The face looks nice, but very flat, and rigid. Especilly around the eyelids and the nose. Those are meant to be soft, guestural lines, like with the hair you did. Speaking of hair, I don't know if you took a look at some pictures or not, but it's very straight forward, and doesn't seem to really have a point of origin. It's just flat, like blehhhh, and falls down as if gravity is Earth's times 9000. So bring more interesting shapes and flow into the hair next time.

Bottom Line: Keep facial lines soft, or very light, and to a minimum, depending on the style you're going for (see my art, and Clemente Suave). Work on hair.

The eyes are good, I like how they have emotion in them. Remember, controlling the eyebrows really can put a lot into an expression. Although, these eyebrows are really thin and kind of unnatural, don't worry we see this in real life too when you get girls that like to draw them on *shudders*.

Bottom Line: Take a look at some eyebrows and try to draw them that way for a bit instead of line-like. Remember, they always flow in an outwards motion, but it also varies. Oh also, soften the eyeshadows beneath the brows, that'll also give it more depth. One last thing on the eyes, try to direct the eyes downwards to the flower, so it seems she's concentrating on something, giving the picture more, ehhh, umph, I guess.

The lips are cool, but extremely small. I know you're going for the puckerd look, but if she relaxes her lips, I don't see them going to a very normal size, as they look really constrained to begin with. Again, pick up some reference and try to go from there. I'd say all you really need to do with them is make em more plump, and bigger, that way they are more believable.

Back up to the face real quick. The ears... I can't say much for the ears, as they lack all the detail ears have, and are in a very general shape. It took me a while to learn how to effectively draw ears enough to where they'd be real looking, and I woudn't have to get completely anatomically correct. So practice those by themselves sometimes if you get the chance.

Bottom Line: Make the lips bigger, more plump, more together so to speak. And bring more detail into the ears.

The body. Well, the body is alright, I know it's not the main focus of the picture, but it's there, so why not. Basically, the neck seems to either be a bit too thick, or just right I can't tell really, due to how the shoulders are, and lack of the rest of the body to compare them to. So even though it too is very basic I don't see all too much wrong with it besides the neck looking broken in a spot to the right near her collar.

Now as for the arm and the hand, there's a lot going on there that needs fixing. But I'm glad you didn't try and fart your way through by hiding the hands. They're a super difficult thing to draw for nearly -all- artists, and hiding them isn't a good idea. This is one area that needs a lot of work, because the hand is simple an odd shaped square with what looks like lines in it to make it look like a hand. The wrist is very oval shaped, and right in front of the picture. Imagine if you extended her off the page. How would those arms look? You have to think about that when doing busts, everything still has to be proportionate.

Bottom Line: Work on your hands, and arms, and do a bit of anatomy practice with em... no not a bit, a lot. Trust me, it'll help, but loosen yourself up, you're really tight with your lines in a stage that you need to be loose for, so that you learn quicker. Just sketch, sketch, sketch, lines on top of lines, on top of lines, let it flowwwww.

Verdict: You've made a lot of progress from the weird creatures from about a year ago, haha. Just keep it up, and don't get down on yourself, cause that just.... doesn't help. I'll be glad to give you some more tips here or there, or share a secret or two lol.
    But most importantly, use reference, as much as you can. Try drawing your references, then drawing your own stuff.
    Reference, practice, wash, rinse, repeat.

Are you the liebe from GB awhile back? You were on there a lot..

I think you should work on not only your anatomy but also your technique, This can take time.

I am going to be very honest since you asked me to crit your art I am going to assume you are ready to to take what others have to say very seriously, please do not be disheartened or feel like you are being attacked because you are not crits are to help you. so with that out of the way I'll continue:3

At the start a lot of people shade their work like you have and it can look very dramatic you really want to get the shading of the face to look soft and natural, as you grow as an artist you will find ways to use shading that will flatter your image and look effective.

Try to stray away from shading only parts of your drawings if you are going to shade something right you need to shade everything otherwise it tends to look incomplete.
    you have used strong colour on the lips and used a very dark line to outline them, try instead just drawing the inner lip and shading softly to portray soft pretty lips, though your shading would be good for strong lipstick I don't tend to think it looks nice in an anime style unless it has proper shading and highlights, but that's just me.

If you look at real pictures of ladies this will help you tremendously to draw and shade them accordingly the shading above and around the eyes is dramatic there are contours around the eyes because of bone and flesh that effects the way shade and highlights form. with that said I think you need to study the anatomy of the face to help you

The shape of the face isn't actually too bad, you just need to work on the features to make it flattering.

Her head stands out to me as being VERY big make sure before you draw the hair that you first draw the head, the hair stands up out of your head around 1/2 a cm to 1cm depending on the style it could be more voluminous.

Her eyes have a lot of expression to me it looks like a shocked or scared expression because you can see the whole of her irises, but her eyebrows do not have the same expression be careful of that

the next thing I notice is her hand, in that position you would need to work out how foreshortening works, this can be tedious and hard but keep at it and you will one day master it again reference pictures are key.

I've done a quick pic digitally based on your drawing It's no where near complete but you will get the basic idea (sry I don't have a scanner set up right now so i couldn't do a sketch)

You can see some of the shading i've done and re positioning of some features. A lot can be achieved with the right shading and positioning of features just keep on practicing and fleshing out your characters, if you get a tablet feel free to come into the groupboard and check out what we are doing in there and draw some digital stuff

It's not for me hun it's for your own improvements, the drawing you did was not bad by any means, I am just pointing out the things I noticed keep up the good work! I honestly can't wait to see how you improve

Wow, you've had a tonne of critiques so I don't think there's really much more I can add! But like Cloudy said, you don't need to worry about other peoples' standards, there are always more experienced artists than yourself whatever the level, and if you're proud of a drawing then you should be, critiques should just help you get to the level of art you want to be at look forwards to seeing a new pic posted by you!

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a..._Duane/025.jpg

Sadly, I had already started on this before reading Gunz crit, so I'm sure it has most of the same problems the one before had. Again, I felt it was better to just finish it and post it, rather than try and 'improve' it, ha ha ha.

Pretty good so far A few things that I can see: The waist is very thin compared to the size of the boobs, but also the tummy section before the tail is very short - normally mermaid tails are drawn from below the bellybutton, around the hip area, and so you should have a longer tummy / waist section (this may also help the waist not look as small compared to the boobs). The arms are also very thin, you need to widen them. The shape of the tail is good