Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions :)

Eh, well, this is what I get for trying to be nice and let someone down softly...

People seriously underestimate the amount of other chumps there are in the world with the exact same goals as them. Idealism is nice, but expecting that everyone else just failed because they suck in comparison to yourself is just a tad less sincere. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Well Tsutomu Nihei did a work for Marvel. And I think marvel is doing a lot to include japanese manga in their industry (and to expand their industry in japan).
    I was talking about unknowns and unpublished authors. Which this Takashi is. Nihei is my homeboy and he's been going since at least 1998. But yeah.

Anyway. Sutari speaks truths.
    Last edited by Regantor; 02-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Nihei is not that well known, only for ciberpunk lovers, and even between them it's not that known.

Eh, you're probaly right, even with his underground fanbase the guy is still quite niche. But I was just trying to illustrate a point, anyway.

Jumping the cultural barrier like that is no easy feat, no matter where you are going to or from. Consider the fact that even the English comic book creators Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison had been contributing to the 2000AD series for years before DC recruited them.

That's why I'm so interested in how Marvel is approaching Japan. Is not easy, Japan, as any culture, is very conservative, and bringing something new is going to be easily rejected (this work in both sides). That's why is so interesting how Marvel is doing their approach to a different culture. But I'm also interested in how this can make the comic book industry to grow, working for both occident and orient.

Even so I think the ones who are making a better job to mix both occident and orient are Koreans. But that's another discussion.

Back to the top. As Marvel struggles to get in Japan, think how much you will have to struggle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutari View Post
    Forgive me for interrupting, but...

lets say you DO get in jump, and you DO get serialized. The trouble of going through everything it takes to get that far (get a residence in japan while being a gaijin) is only the beginning of the beginning. You'll have to put up with corporate deadlines, and you WILL lose alot of sleep. Its not worth your health OR your stress, but thats just my opinion. And you have to cater to the age group of the readers you are aiming for. (which, if you're in jump, is going to be middle schoolers/young kids.. mostly boys.) Your story may be really good, but if kids don't understand it and therefore don't read it, you just lost your job. It would be alot easier to make a webcomic and take a shot at getting popular online while you have another source of money. There is a manga that tells you basically what will happen if you try. Its Bakuman. You are just adding being foreign to the list of obstacles.

If i misunderstood you, please forgive me.
    I just dont like seeing/hearing about people getting hurt because they are too stubborn.

Yes, you're totally right, after seeing Bakuman, i took a chance and researched if it was really possible to get serialized, and it was, without hesitation my decision was made. Even if it's the slightest 1% chance i'll try and get it. Shounen Jump is really the reason why i'm still alive, i mean, i'm not an emo or some shit, i'm really a troublesome-guy. I have long times tried to understand the reason to live, my life is really complicated and fucked up since i was a kiddo, due to my parents fucking with each others my whole childhood, and even now. Normally, i don't go and tell people about my past or about myself, but i have alot of respect to people from Japan. Japanese people is simply the future of this world, talented people at everything, Karate, Swordmanship, Drawing, Manga, Anime, Everything. Since it's this case, i'll tell you. Let's begin that i'm not really from Sweden, but i live in Sweden, i'm originally from Chechenia(It's in Russia). I had to move to Sweden cuz my small country had a war with Russia. My parents were screaming at one another ever since i got to the age of 5, where i started to understand things, my mother owned the house, so she was throwing my father out all the time. I'm now 16, and i have not learned how to love, when my father is talking about anything, something that got with feelings to do, i simply don't know how to support him, i was never learned how to love, i was never learned how to really understand those kind of feelings, i was a really kind, emotional & big-hearted kid, but seeing my parents literally killing each others, it was scaring me up on the inside. Starting from 12, the time i came to Sweden, i was living like a bitch, literally, i was jumping from my mothers department to my fathers all the time, my school went bad cuz of my mixed feelings and the fucked up scene, i slowly begun to go away from school for minutes, hours, days... I'm in 9th grade now, and i'm sure that i will fail it, if i wont start studying like a retard right now. Because i didn't learn to talk to people about my feelings, i didn't really have anything to talk to, i found Naruto at the age of 14, and it helped me alot. It gave me courage when i needed, it gave me strenght when i was down, it made me happy every thursday, i was always looking forward to that day of the week like i would become a millionaire or something. From that, i learned about Bleach, and just a few months ago i learned about One Piece, Death Note, Fairy Tail. Due to these animes / mangas, i had the confidence to move forward, it really helped me out, i understood the writer that was behind that anime, i could understand his feelings & his message. I was drawing alot as a kid, and i somehow could express my feelings through drawing and through music. A week ago, i was really at my limit, i had the idea to just fuck this world, my mom moved to another city, but it's pretty close tho, and i was not in school for about 2 weeks since she moved. I was really frustrated & cofused, at the same time sad deep inside and somehow, tired. I found out about Bakuman 1 week ago, and i started to research about the serialization. My drawing sucks right now, but i will believe in all of my past art teachers and practice, that way i'm sure i could reach a level where i will be able to draw manga. Now to the point where you will understand what i mean, i didn't know a reason to leave & a reason to die for. I didn't either know what i should do with my future, i seriously had the idea to join a gang in Sweden, that's an easy thing here. But after learning about the serialization, i could actually do something i like, at the same time showing my feelings through art, through manga, giving a message to people who would read my manga, making people happy through art. Shounen Jump means really much to me, it means so much to me that no one will understand it even after explaining my life story. Getting a serialization with Shounen Jump would surely be the most succesfull and the most happiest point of my life. I don't care about my health, i don't care about when i die, that was decided the time i was borned, my destiny was written the second i was born, so i don't really care about that. Yes, i'm stealing these words from one of the character in Bakuman, but even so, i'm typing these words with pride in my heart & eyes. I would not really mind if i died writing manga, wiring my feelings to people if that would make them happy. Of course, as any other artist, my plan is to get my manga lively. For that, i don't mind sacrificing nights of sleep, loads of energy drinks, and huge amount of my health.

Really, sorry for replying with 20000 words, but i felt to be honest for once.
    God damn, i don't even want to correct the grammar & misspelled words, i really typed too much, sorry for the trouble.

They are the future.

Omg that is fucking brilliant

Banned

They are the future.
    Lolz, just dont make any troll shit out of my thread pl0x (y)

Don't worry I will troll your opinion in another thread, it deserves it.

Also, they are not the best at everything. Karate: because they made it, still, a lot of the best champions are not japaneses. Swordmanship: you probably know nothing of European sword techniques, they developed the most mathematically smart ways of sword combat. Drawing: are you for real? I could name million of not japanese artists that are way better than the average japanese artist. Everything: no, China.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 02-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Banned
    Don't worry I will troll your opinion in another thread, it deserves it.
    Whatever you say.

Edit: Again, whatever you say.

Wich country forged Katana?
    Wich country formed numerous of legendary Karate styles, Kyokushinkai, Shitory, Okawa or something like that.
    Ever heard of Oyama?
    Ever heard of Osamu Tezuka?
    Last edited by Niizuma; 02-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.