Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminus Est OOC - NOW RECRUITING

i vote for harkinia

Yeah, as much as I like barbarians and evil labrinths, I think option one sounds like the funner one. Maybe just because it sounds "more D". Or like the game Deception, in reverse. Other parties will probally have plenty of opertunities to go to the highlands, too.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Oh God where am I? How'd I get here? What are those kids doing on my lawn?

Had oral surgery today. All is blood, fire, and pain. Feeling better than I was before, though. I might be able to do some postificating tomorrow, but I make no guarantees. By Thursday I think I'll be up to it.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

take an oxycontin and go to sleep

U have so much to teach us, Cake.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

is major bomb

Cake, u da bomb.

Anyway, time for some Drow history, scrubs. This time on the Huthindrow.

The Huthindrow were a ethnic/political/religious group of Drow that came to prominence close to about a century ago. The Huthindrow - who's name can be best translated as 'Next Drow' - believed that Lolth intended them to destroy and replace the baseline Drow just as she intended the Drow to replace the hated surface Elves. They were all demonblooded - and then some. Many Huthindrow were Demonbinders; casters who could somehow absorb and assimilate the essence of Demons into their own being, gaining their likenesses and powers - a technique developed by and lost with the Huthindrow themselves. Although disorganized and often suffering from the instability and insanity that is endemic to Demons and their worshipers, the Huthindrow were numerous, enjoyed the support of demonblooded priestesses, and most of all - were powerful.

84 years ago the Huthindrow rose up against the mainstream Drow. Fighting was widespread across the lands of the Drow, but was by far most intense within Edonilche'el where the Huthindrow not only focused most of their efforts, but also succeeded in opening numerous planar gates to the Abyss, allowing Demons to pour through and wreak havoc. Perhaps motivated by the chaos and confusion, or egged on by wily fiends, many slaves took the opportunity to rise up against the Drow as well, during the uprising.

Although the mainstream Drow won, the costs were great. Much of Edonilche'el was ravaged by the short but intense fighting, slaves had to be slaughtered en masse and made examples of, and many pogroms and witch hunts against demonblooded Drow ensued. In political ramifications, Great House Maelthra attacked House Drejan (one of the most powerful up-and-comers during the time) during the uprising and managed to not only drive them completely from Edonilche'el but also to seize up much of Edonilche'el for themselves. Today Great House Maelthra controls the largest portion of Edonilche'el and wields the most influence within the megacity.

Besides Great House Maelthra, Great Houses Faernsenger and Chaon also greatly benefited from the chaos of the uprising. The former's Wizards were in high demand to close the abyssal gates and the latter due to the economic opportunities opened up by the reconstruction of Edonilche'el. Both the Faernsenger and Chaon also benefited from close ties with the Maelthra and having supposedly played some role in helping the Maelthra drive out the Drejan.

Great House Ku'nal, much like the Drejan, suffered greatly during the uprising. Not only had many Ku'nal warriors died defending Edonilche'el and other holdings, but much of the house's standing with he priestesses was lost due to their failure to protect the church and also due to their failure to follow the Maelthra's example and find opportunity amidst the chaos.

As for the Huthindrow, they are presumed to have all been hunted down and slain, although rumors always persist about small cabals of Huthindrow lurking in isolated caverns, the sewers of Edonilche'el, Abyssal shrines, or within Deisenin ruins. Some rumors claim that Ilharess T'puuli Rendanvlos' father was not an incubus, as generally believed, but rather that her mother was a Huthindrow Demonbinder.

It's worth noting that since it was only 84 years ago, most of the older Drow lived through it, and probably fought in it. Aryyna did, as did most of the current ilharesses of the major houses. Draeva's only 54 so she wasn't born yet. The Huthindrow Uprising also stands as the last time the Drow faced an existential threat, the last time they 'united' (see: Maelthra/Drejan) and the only time an enemy attacked Edonilche'el successfully, although granted that enemy was arguably the Drow, so it may or may not count. Plus there are always incidents involving Illithid cults in Edonilche'el that may or may not be valid cases or simple Drow paranoia or scapegoating.

This could have been written better, but I'm still recovering from surgery so deal with it. Next time I'll probably cover the war against Great House Deisenin, or maybe go into some details about the houses themselves. Depends if I can do the former without giving away spoilers about Illithids. Although I can always just have you guys roll knowledge checks, since there's a good chance the playerdrow, at least Neit, would know the relevant facts about Illithids.

Hark! Evil comes to Harkinia.

Harkinia it is. Karin can polymorph Gnoryc into a donkey or something, and Fitha can just use bodypaint and hats.

Fitha gonna be stylin' an Xmas hat.