Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Charity

Smile Starting a Charity

Starting a charity to help those in Africa with water.
    Any thoughts?
    I've created a Facebook page and I'm working on a website, now.. i just need ideas..donations.. and lots of love.
    The charity is called Blue Gold for Africa.
    If I start a Paypal donation pool, would any of you seriously donate at least 1 cent?

Edit: For those who are wondering how the funds would get there.
    I have a uncle who is a pastor in Africa and for years we have been sending in used clothing and old items to the church. I thought I could do more than just send in left over items. Currently were are going to work with the impoverished areas in Sierra Leone, and try and work from there.
    Last edited by Slurpee; 01-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Yeah but doesn't paypal take a small amount making 1 cent pointless

...... Okay okay. Then, there will be a requirement for online donations. Problem solved.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I would need proof that you actually have the ability to get the good to those in need. And even then, only maybe.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Yeah I am interested to know how you plan on turning the donations into water for africans. Are you just going to donate it to a bigger fund? Or do you have a team of people working over there building wells?

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Yeah, how do we know you can get this to Africans in need? Also Africa is a big place. Can you be more specific?

Hell, fuck it. Imma start my own rival charity. With blackjack. And hookers.

You know what, forget the charity!

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Yeah, how do we know you can get this to Africans in need? Also Africa is a big place. Can you be more specific?

Hell, fuck it. Imma start my own rival charity. With blackjack. And hookers.

You know what, forget the charity!
    Oh man, I hope you are being for real, you got my exited.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I'll start a charity called the "give money to Kodos so he can buy himself candy, video games, nice clothes, and other luxuries"

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Getting money to Africa is HARD. A family friend of mine has been living in Africa for nearly a decade. She runs a boys' orphanage (because most orphanages there are for girls, but they also take girls in if they find siblings, etc). My family donates to her, but through American banking. It also isn't recommended to give her money, because actual resources are more valuable than money. If you mail-in money to someone in Africa, it will not make it to them. Some African countries open all outside mail and take out whatever is valuable--I am dead serious.

Also, there are already a lot of organizations out there that aim to bring water to Africa. Why are you starting a new one? Instead of separating the same effort into multiple charities (thereby losing power in numbers), people should focus on working together under the same name.

If you're looking for good charities, I have heard from other people that organizations like CharityWatch (and others, I'm sure) investigate where the money of many charities goes.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I recently started a charity to help a college prep school on the Thai-Burma border. The thing about charity is that you can't just expect people to donate. You have to let people know that you, as the organization, care about the cause, too, and not just guilt-tripping people for their cash. They basically need a show of good faith. So we put on performances. At first it was at venues like small local restaurants but now we rented out an auditorium for a stage show. Showing the people that we, the organization, are also putting in our necessary hours and effort will let them know that you are reliable.