Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Suicide

Thoughts on Suicide

I'm curious about your opinions about suicide. Whether euthanasia is okay, or if suicide in itself is immoral to you. If somebody in you know has committed suicide how did it effect you personally?

Please treat the subject with sensitivity and do not submit posts based on how people would react if you killed yourself.

While no one I know well has committed suicide, I feel it's kind of a selfish thing to do for the most part. It often causes much distress and suffering for people who deeply cared about and loved that person. Although sometimes the person might kill themselves because they think no one cares about them. It's hard to say anything about it in a general manner since there is so many different situations wherein someone might do this.

I support euthenasia if, say, it's a really old person thats bed ridden, or a person that has a terminal illness thats either slowly killing them or subjecting them to horrible pain for the rest of their life. Otherwise, if they're suicidal due to their life not going as they planned (lost job, wife, bullying, they hate themselves), I think it's obvious we should help them. The thing they need the most is attention and help.

I don't think suicide is selfish at all. A lot of the times, the person wanting to commit suicide pretty much thinks everyone will be happier without them. Thats why I think if someone's depressed, you have to show them that you care for them. :/

Considered it a couple of times, but then decided I'd rather not cause any grief to my grandma at all.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Considered it a couple of times, but then decided I'd rather not cause any grief to my grandma at all.
    Pretty much this, and then you have to realize that yea sometimes it may be selfish, but not always.
    Sometimes that person is just living in their own hell, and honestly, to think it's selfish of them to want to release themselves from said 'personal hell' is selfish.
    Somebody who hasn't lost everything is still more than capable of rational thinking, and knows the collateral cost. It's how you weigh that that determines the outcome of whether they do it or don't.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post
    I support euthenasia if, say, it's a really old person thats bed ridden, or a person that has a terminal illness thats either slowly killing them or subjecting them to horrible pain for the rest of their life. Otherwise, if they're suicidal due to their life not going as they planned (lost job, wife, bullying, they hate themselves), I think it's obvious we should help them. The thing they need the most is attention and help.
    This^.
    I think that suicide can be for what the person thinks is a good reason. I think though, that suicide is wrong simply because if you were gifted with life, it seems that you could do your best to turn it around and make something that your family wouldn't grieve over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

I do believe it's usually a selfish thing with the only exceptions being like purposely declining painful, sickening treatment for a disease that will kill you later anysway. Most people that commit suivide cause they think believe that their lives are hell, don't do anything to fix their lives. But of course, this is jist my opinion.

Can you really call it a selfish act if its the result of a serious mental illness such as depression? You wouldn't say its selfish of someone to die from a physical illness, so what makes mental illness different?

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Most people that commit suivide cause they think believe that their lives are hell, don't do anything to fix their lives. But of course, this is jist my opinion.
    No, someone who is willing to commit suicide see life as something worst than death, which is in a perspective, reasonable to fear life. The thing is that its not voluntary, you don't think "from now on I'm going to consider suicide". Its a chemistry disorder on your brain, that its commonly generated by depression and you start seeing suicide as a possible option to deal with your problems (not monetary, but emotional).

And it is selfish, because you are thinking in your own life and death. People who actually commit suicide, have the tendency to tell their family the reasons and to not feel bad about their decision, this is because, even so suicide is selfish, they understand what their families and friend might feel after, but life, their emotional problems, are so heavy they can't really defeat and living one more day is a nightmare. So ya, it's selfish, but the people who do it are aware of the people around them, is just that their problems are bigger for them.

I feel this subject must be deal by people who have been depressed to the point they have considered suicide, as I feel, no one who haven't been in a heavy depression would understand.

When someone has a chemical imbalance that makes them feel that way don't you think it puts them beyond labels like 'selfish'? As you said, people don't become depressed/mentally ill by choice and their thoughts are so far beyond what is 'normal' that its as if the decision is out of their hands. They need others to step up and intervene so they can receive treatment. It seems to me like mental illness such as depression is a potentially fatal illness, where the cause of death is suicide. Sure, its selfish if someone who is fine mentally decides they don't want to live any more but I think there is a point where it goes beyond being selfish and is just being unwell.