Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Protagonists

It's not a comic or game but Quasimodo from the Hunch Back of Notredam(sp?) is a pretty famous one. I think it's sad that our (particularly Western) culture leads to the favouring and rejection of based on physical appearance; an ingrained presumption that 'pretty people are better than ugly people'. Though I say this I know I'm being a hypocrite; I judge people based on apearance as much as anyone else,it is still regretable.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

Strangely enough looks way cooler after his death.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Cyrano de Bergerac
    ^^^

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Actually Peteman I'd say there is a certain merit to being ugly. Sometimes grotesqueness can be construed as mystique and homeliness can be construed as manliness or ruggedness. For example, many of the creatures in popular video games are fucking gross and ugly, but generate a lot of interest because that grossness complements the cool and mysterious factor. And many of our larger, more manly protagonists tend to be ugly (as opposed to the hyper metrosexual Japanese protagonists), but it suggests a character who is born to fight, not born to model. They also tend to be bigger and tougher. Oppositely someone who is overly attractive or seems concentrated on their looks suggests fragility and a pampered no-action lifestyle.

This is a pretty obvious one:

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

*or was this dude just a really confused anti-hero*

@ CypressDhalia: I guess that's partly true, but when did you meat a hero thats unattractive and overweight (not a ripped muscular hunk of meat) and is human (therefore Shrek doesn't count, besides despite being green he's not actually that ugly). But I think this is more the case for women or heroines than it is for men. If anyone can find a popular heroine that is physically unattractive I'd be impressed and metaphorically eat my hat.

Yeah, the double standard with women pisses Reg off to an additional level. Now, fair enough, fiction is supposed to be an idealised version of reality alot of the time. I'm also a guy, so I'm not going to pretend that appearances don't matter at all, either... But the idea that only painted-up barbie dolls are somehow the only memorable, relatable or worthwhile types of female character is pretty clearly bullshit. Flaws make a character.

The only mains I can think of that properly go whole-hog and bin the rulebook;

Elle from Shadow Skill
    SPOILER! :

Sechs from Battle Angel Alita; Last Order
    SPOILER! :

Olga from MGS2
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Regantor; 01-24-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I think you just have to look in the right places. I'm surprised you didn't mention Big Boss from MGS, Reg. She's not much of a looker, but arguably the most powerful character in the entire MGS universe. Also, Peteman: there are plenty of overweight fighting game characters. E. Honda, for example. The thing about being overweight, though, is that unlike being attractive, being overweight can clash with the design of a character. Most game protagonists are fast, agile and strong. I can't imagine an overweight person fitting that profile. And I've never played a game where they made a game mechanic out of being slow and heavy, aside from mech sims and fighters. So it's not so much that fat people are underrepresented but that fat people can't play the imagined role of an action hero. Can you imagine Devil May Cry if Dante was overweight?

Porco Rosso

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Can you imagine Devil May Cry if Dante was overweight?
    Best freaking idea ever.

ya that'd be sweet