Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: General Manga Project Discussion

Specify each one of your problems so we can help you better. As for "when to present a character" is quiet hard to tell without knowing how things are going, I think the only way I can answer such a vague problem is with a vague answer: just go with the flow of the events.

I personally have no technique or strategy in writing, which is weird because I try to read a lot about narrative theory, but it's maybe because I haven't made anything finished yet and I mostly pass the time understanding how other writers over come their problems. So I can't help you in my personal experiense.
    --------------------

I disagree with you that anime is better than manga. This is because your statement is equal than saying "fish is better than apples", it doesn't make any sense because you are comparing 2 different mediums. The whole narrative between a comic and a animation are too different to compare, but to tell you the true, most anime made from mangas are crap just for the fact that they don't take advantage of the narrative of their own medium but get stocked in the narrative of the source medium, which is a failure, because you are just replicating the comic with a "sense" of animation. And obviously they are just replicating the dialogues, making the anime a copy paste of the source and not a production in its own. But this debate is better to another thread, not here, so I'm not going to reply about this.

Backstories are shitty, leave a lot of stuff to mysticism or allude to the happenings, or else you're just going to end up like Tite Kubo and Masashi Kishimoto.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Uh. Lies and lies and slander. Oda build up pretty big backstories for his characters and it works very well.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

I said a lot of stuff. This guy probably isn't on One-Piece level yet.

Probably not, but I wouldn't discourage someone from working on the backstory of their character. You don't want to dump it on the audience all at once, but it is important.

You're my favorite.

All I'm saying is idk if he can pull it off, say, the way Avatar did.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Avatar an One Piece are good example of backstory. Naruto and BLEACH ... Are not.

You're my favorite.

There's an upside to how many anime and manga come out being terrible: the ones that are actually good shine a lot brighter.

Animerebel, before I say anything about your story issues, I'd like to share a bit of knowledge with you: the techniques that work for me or Clockhand or Bacon might not work for you. With that said, I approach longer stories by prewriting. I don't even think about artsy symbolism or metaphors or anything like that. It doesn't matter how clever I think my implementation of a Jesus figure or American economy metaphor is. I don't even think about that until later. I usually separate the story into major events and number them, usually from one to ten. I give a brief description of each event and then start rough sketches.

Since I've finished a book, but never actually finished a manga (even a one-shot), I can't give you much advice beyond that. So start with the story and then move on to the drawings. Personally, assuming I'd be able to actually do it someday, I'd start with the draft pages before doing any serious drawing.

I like a lot of animes mostly, I do read manga but, lets face it, anime is better ...
    I'd argue against you there, as your position isn't so much untrue as just missing a lot of further implications, but like Clockhand said, that's an issue for a different thread.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback ya'll. (Were Bacon and Sylux talking about me? Doesn't really work out that well in a forum you know... )

Anyway, after much thought and prespiration, I think I've come up with a way to go with it. (Hey, maybe if it actually turns out well, I could do a tutorial or something...)
    I started out with a big sheet o' paper, and randomly writing a bunch of words connected to the title. This got my creative nitro going, so to speak, and gave me a lot of episode ideas.
    I'll structure the series according to the three point formula. You know, intro, middle, resolution...I'm stretching it out into three parts for the whole series, tweaking as needed.
    For the episodes, I'll write em' all out on index cards and arrange them until it looks good.
    So yeah, I think I've got a plan going.
    @Matt-actually, I've already got drawings going...the characters were my inspiration
    @Bacon-No clue what One Piece has to do with it...(*ahem, excuse the randomness
    @Everyone-Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way. I posted the anime-manga thing in the welcome thread as a joke and had no intention of it being taken so seriously. Sheesh we're serious on here! o.O

One Piece has very well done backstories. If you're wondering about how to try and create a good backstory check out how it's done in One Piece - Pacing, development, whatever.

You're my favorite.