Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: General Manga Project Discussion

Angel is really overdone, maybe a cyborg ninja angel would help your chances of success

I'll get to that when I have some of the other things worked out.

I don't personally think there's anything wrong with the angel concept - depending on where you take it. As Sylux has said - it's overdone. Try to avoid cliche's and establish a firm reason for why it's an angel and not something else. Have an interesting spin on it, or do something you don't find in comics / manga often.

At least, I think if you avoid stereotypical plot lines and cliches, you're fine. If you're taking it to a publishing firm they're going to want to know why someone would buy your product over the other ones with an angel in there as a plot point. Be different, creative and exciting!

You didn't read my entire post, I said that once I was good enough , that I would redo the one shoot, make it presentable enough with a nice 'different' spin to it, blah blah blah. Right now, however, I'm focusing on improving my art skills, this is just practice at the moment. It'll probably be years and years before I can even consider sending anything in to a publishing house. Lol, I might be in my late 20's early 30's before I can draw something up that would interest a company.

I hate the idea of angels and super natural beings that help humans.

First of all angels are basically a Christian construct (yeah there are angels in Jewish and Muslim stories, but Christianity made them what they are now), so applying this beings, is basically agreeing with each other of the Christian values and beliefs. And even if you explain that there is no relationship between your angel and this Christian beliefs, the only fact that you are using this being is prove enough that you are reinforcing this idea of good vs evil.

The second problem for my taste is that using this magical beings as these, is that you are weakening the character against its fate. The problem is not necessarily with angels or that kind of stuffs, but the idea of: "he found an angel by mistake". This simple paragraph show us that the character is just a victim of fate or the narrator, and not the consequence of his actions. This is extremely important, because when you write, you must do it in a cause - consequences way, and not giving cheap jumps from the actions.

And third, but not last (because there are more, but I will only say 3), is that using this magical beings has become not just cliché but also cheap. As they are used to justify subjects on the story, making writing bad and retarded.

There are soo many reasons why I would suggest to not pick the classical angel encounter, but rather to pick a more interesting view of the subject as some other comic books have done, like Lucifer.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 03-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.

I like stories where it's humans and human values versus a more perfect race or society, with empathizable values in themperfect society, and empathizable imperfect human characters.

It's a template, just a foundation that I'll be working on, really. I'm not going to really worry too much about making it original at the moment, that can wait until later. I need to pace myself with this project, since I'm the only one working on it, so I'm going to do this in phases.

Although I may ask one of the writers here to help me with the writing part.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 03-11-2012 at 09:38 PM.

You need to foucus on originality. I can tell you now that about all of the good writers won't read much less critique this piece if you follow through with it. If you want to improve in writing, including pacing, you're gonna need critique, and for us to critique you you're gonna need to make an effort.

Patience, kiddo, it'll be a while for me to write something good, as there really isn't a whole lot of originality left in the world, I'd love to come up with a fresher idea for a nice plot, but man I've been thinking on this for a while now, and well I don't want to force it, I don't want to give up on it, but you know... it's irritating. Also, there's a whole lot of other stuff that I need to work on as well, and fool can only do so much, ha ha ha.

I need to be honest, just wanted a project to distract me from not so happy stuff. I'm not sure I'll even do this project, just wanted, really it was just a bit of fun, you know? I still could use a lot of work on my art skills, because I still don't draw too well, eh, maybe I should hold off onto these projects until I can draw quite a bit better, lol.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 03-12-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Note to self: Clock's going to hate my comic as Satan is the antagonist. Of course, the incorporation of Christian mythology doesn't mean the work is Christian. Shaman King for example.

Anyway ... I was thinking about the death of characters again. Back on the old MT I was discussing how to make the death of a character important, but still have the character be revived. It was decided amongst MTers that this had to be done by making the revival a huge fucking deal. So more Order of the Stick and less Dragon Ball Z.

My question is this. If that is the case, how come Gantz is so potent? We know everyone's going to die. We know people can be brought back. And yet, most of the time, when someone does die, the reader will get really upset.

If this makes no sense I am truly sorry as I am tired as Hell.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.